The E-Sylum v21n14 April 8, 2018

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Apr 8 19:25:53 PDT 2018

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 21, Number 14, April 8, 2018
**
WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM APRIL 8, 2018
<#a01>
**
KOLBE & FANNING SALE 149 CLOSES APRIL 28, 2018
<#a02>
**
NEW BOOKS: CHOPMARKED COINS IN SPANISH AND ITALIAN
<#a03>
**
NEW BOOK: THE WAR AGAINST CASH
<#a04>
**
EL SITIO NO. 26 PUBLISHED
<#a05>
**
NEW AUDIO: CDN LAUNCHES BOTH SIDES OF THE COIN
<#a06>
**
NEWMAN PORTAL ADDS GREEN ESTATE SETTLEMENT RECORDS
<#a07>
**
NEWMAN PORTAL SEARCH: FORRER
<#a08>
**
NUMISMATIST JAN LIS AND THE BEAVER COIN ROOM
<#a09>
**
APRIL FOOLS ISSUE, 2018
<#a10>
**
NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: APRIL 8, 2018
<#a11>
**
THE 1776 JANUS COPPER
<#a12>
**
CONTINENTAL DOLLARS REVISITED
<#a13>
**
VOCABULARY TERM: SERIES
<#a14>
**
MARSHALL CLIFFORD LEFFERTS  (1848-1928),
<#a15>
**
HARVEY STACK'S NUMISMATIC FAMILY, PART 15
<#a16>
**
NEIL SHAFER'S RED BOOK RECOLLECTIONS
<#a17>
**
DON EVERHART AT THE FRANKLIN MINT
<#a18>
**
QUERY: BANKNOTE PROTECTOR PRINTING
<#a19>
**
WASTWEET WINS AMERICAN MEDAL OF THE YEAR AWARD
<#a20>
**
2018 IPMS SYMPOSIUM SPEAKERS ANNOUNCED
<#a21>
**
ANA SUMMER SEMINAR NUMISMATIC PUBLISHING COURSE
<#a22>
**
2018 ANA SUMMER SEMINAR COURSE CATALOG
<#a23>
**
PNG CALLS FOR 2018 AWARDS NOMINATIONS
<#a24>
**
NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: APRIL 8, 2018
<#a25>
**
THE TERRIBLE NINTH CENTURY
<#a26>
**
THE NUMISMATICS OF GOLF
<#a27>
**
SCHRAUBTALER: MEDAL WITH A HIDDEN STORY
<#a28>
**
HOW THE CHALLENGE COIN TRADITION STARTED
<#a29>
**
NIOBIUM COIN CASE STUDY
<#a30>
**
ROYAL CANADIAN MINT ISSUES UFO ENCOUNTER COIN
<#a31>
**
CANADIAN INSTITUTE FOR THE BLIND COIN DESIGNER
<#a32>
**
BANKNOTE FEATURES CANADIAN HUMAN RIGHTS MUSEUM
<#a33>
**
GARRETT COLLECTS SMALL SIZE KENTUCKY NATIONALS
<#a34>
**
INDIAN COLLECTOR OF ERROR BANKNOTES PROFILED
<#a35>
**
THE GLOBGLOGABGALAB
<#a36>
**
MOVIE MONEY: THE COINS OF ZAMUNDA
<#a37>
**
IN OTHER NEWS: APRIL 8, 2018
<#a38>
**
FEATURED WEB SITE: BANKNOTE NEWS
<#a39>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM APRIL 8, 2018

New subscribers this week include:
Christian Turner.
Welcome aboard! We now have 5,812 subscribers.

Have you noticed our Newman Numismatic portal page counter at the top right of each issue?  It's up to 1,811,665 pages!  Click on it to go to the Portal and explore the latest numismatic content.

This week we open with a new numismatic literature sale from Kolbe & Fanning, two or three new books, one periodical, a brand-new numismatic podcast, and updates from the Newman Numismatic Portal.

Other topics this week include the 1776 Janus Copper, the Continental Dollar, Sculptor-Engraver Don Everhart, medallist Heidi Wastweet, schraubtalers, the numismatics of golf, and the coins of Zamunda.

To learn more about chopmarked coins, Uruguay's Constitution Centennial coinage, Leonard Forrer’s Biographical Dictionary of Medallists, London dealer Jan Lis, joint monarchs on coins, Mudie Medals, the fabulous Anderson Dupont Collection,
 the Charioteer of the Delphi, Charlemagne, and the Royal Canadian Mint's UFO coin, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

KOLBE & FANNING SALE 149 CLOSES APRIL 28, 2018

Here's the press release for Kolbe & Fanning Sale #149, closing April 28, 2018.
-Editor

KOLBE & FANNING ANNOUNCE APRIL 28 AUCTION OF NUMISMATIC BOOKS

Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers announce our Sale 149, which will be held on April 28,
2018. The 500-lot sale features further selections from the extensive library of William A. Burd,
among others, and covers ancient, foreign and U.S. numismatics.

Some highlights of the sale include:

Lot 1

Lot 1: the rarely seen 1717 History of the Académie Royale des Inscriptions et Belles-Lettres,
with illustrated content on ancient, medieval and modern coins
Lot 21: a plate volume of Babelon’s Traité from the library of Edward T. Newell

Lot 81

Lot 81: four different decks of c. 1804 French instructional playing cards illustrating ancient,
medieval and modern history

Lots 132 and 143

Lot 132: a complete run of Spink’s Numismatic Circular from 1892 to 2000

Lot 143: the scarce and desirable second edition of Waddington on Pontus & Paphlagonia

Lots 175 and 183

Lot 175: an original 1836 set of Chaudoir’s Aperçu sur les monnaies russes

Lot 183: the Gustave Dreyfus collection of Renaissance reliefs & plaquettes

Lots 201 and 450

Lot 201: a remarkable collection of French laws, proclamations and decrees governing assignats

Lot 450: the rare first printing of The Fantastic 1804 Dollar

Lot 475

Lot 475: the only copy we have handled of the ultra-deluxe Superior catalogue of the Boys
Town collection, bound in full water buffalo skin with a matching clamshell case.

Bids may be placed via post, email, fax or phone, as well as online. Kolbe & Fanning uses
Auction Mobility as our third-party online bidding platform. Auction Mobility is an app-based
platform allowing users the ability to participate in the sale through phones, tablets and
computers. To register for the sale, bidders must go to

bid.numislit.com

 and sign up. Once you
have set up an account, you may browse lots, place advance bids, or participate in the live sale
online. Those wishing to participate on their devices can download the Kolbe & Fanning app
through the Apple or Google Play Store.

The printed catalogue of Sale 149 has been mailed to active customers. A PDF of the printed
catalogue has also been posted to our main website at

 numislit.com
 for those who prefer that
format. Bids placed via post, email, fax or phone must be received by April 27, the day before
the sale, in order for them to be processed. Advance absentee bids may also be placed online at

bid.numislit.com
; live internet bidding will be available during the sale itself through the same
platform.

Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers LLC is a licensed and bonded auction firm in the State
of Ohio. For more information, please see the Kolbe & Fanning website at

numislit.com
 or email
David Fanning at

df at numislit.com
. To register for the sale, go to bid.numislit.com. We look
forward to your participation.

NEW BOOKS: CHOPMARKED COINS IN SPANISH AND ITALIAN

Two new translations are available of
Colin Gullberg’s book, Chopmarked Coins – A History.
This is great news for the hobby.  I'd love to see more numismatic books translated to or from English (or any other language for that matter) to enable more readers to access and fully appreciate the material.
-Editor

Chopmarked Coins – A History Now Available in Spanish and Italian

 Chopmarked Coins in Italian and Spanish

Colin Gullberg’s book, Chopmarked Coins – A History, is now available in Spanish and Italian editions on
Amazon. Translations were done by Dr. Guido Peli.

Chopmarks are a fascinating yet little understood area of Chinese
numismatics. The economic history of China in the much of the Qing
dynasty and early Republican periods is largely a history of Latin
American silver. Chinese farmers paid taxes with Spanish American
silver, trade was carried out with Spanish American silver, and when the
silver started to dry up Chinese society faced famine, unrest and
revolution.

The only evidence of the millions of reales that flowed from Spain’s
lands in the Americas to China is the coins and the chopmarks they bear.
These marks, applied by private bankers (or ‘shroffs’), are a little studied
area of numismatics. Almost nothing has been written on them, little
research has been carried out, and few collectors collect them.

Nevertheless, chopmarks are a fascinating area of numismatics. No two coins are the same, the number and
variety of chops and the different coins that saw circulation in the Far
East seems endless. The history behind the period involves much of the
world – but especially Mexico and Peru, the two biggest contributors of
silver for much of the Qing dynasty.

Mr. Gullberg wrote what is only the second book ever written on the
subject. He is also the editor and president of the Chopmark Collectors
Club (CCC). The original print run of the English edition was limited to 500
copies, which are almost completely sold out. Dr. Guido Peli is a long
–time collector and is a native of Italy, but has lived in Lima, Peru for
many years. It was he who saw the need for editions in other languages
and he has done an excellent job of translating the original English text
into Italian and Spanish in an attempt to reach a larger collector
audience. The Spanish edition in particular should find a large readership
as many of the coins that were sent to China during the period originated in Latin America. Both books are
available in Kindle (electronic) and paper (print-on- demand) versions. You don’t need to own a Kindle to read
the e-version; it can run on any computer.

If the subject of chopmarks interests you then you should join the CCC – the Chopmark Collectors Club. The
CCC is a club that is run for collectors, dealers, and other interested individuals. The English-language
newsletter, Chopmark News, covers research in the field. A free sample copy can be obtained by emailing
chopmarknews at gmail.com .

To order the
Italian edition, see:

https://www.amazon.es/MONETE-CONTROMARCHE- CINESI-dargento- Italian-
ebook/dp/B07B4KBDC9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522554094&sr=8-1&keywords=Colin+Gullberg

To order the
Spanish edition, see:

https://www.amazon.es/Historia-Monedas- Resellos-Chinos-
monedas/dp/1980352399/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1522554094&sr=8-2&keywords=Colin+Gullberg

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

NEW BOOK: CHOPMARKED COINS - A HISTORY

(http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v17n27a03.html)

BOOK REVIEW: CHOPMARKED COINS: A HISTORY

(http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v17n35a07.html)

NEW BOOK: THE WAR AGAINST CASH

In December a new book was published about the movement toward cashless societies.  Here's a description from the publisher's web site.
-Editor

We are constantly being told that we are on the cusp of a cashless society. The financial services industry would certainly like to see it that way. We are being enticed with contactless cards, mobile phone payment apps, and methods of bank transfer: all, apparently, for our convenience.

But as Ross Clark argues in this compelling new book, it is not in our interests to surrender the right to use cash. Commercial interests want us to pay electronically in order to collect valuable data on our spending habits, while governments would love us to move to cashless payments in order to control the economy in ways which suit them, not us.

If we choose to pay electronically, that is one thing, but we will regret it if we do not defend the right to pay with cash.

Here is a review from Currency News
-Editor

Ross Clark is a respected journalist who has written extensively for a number of UK newspapers. He is also a best selling political author focussing on matters that are affecting society such as bureaucracy, globalisation and the surveillance society. In ‘The War on Cash’ he is perhaps more concerned about the future than the present, but by making the present danger clear, he exposes a future world not unlike that described in George Orwell’s 1984.

Each of the 14 chapters focuses on a different battleground in the war on cash, including such titles as My Little Car Park Problem, A Matter of Choice, The Cashless Nightmare, Who Would Trust a Bank?, The Negative Interest Rate Trap, Snooping On Our Shopping Habits, Finding Guinea Pigs in the Developing World, and What Would a Cashless Society Really Look Like?

This book presents the case for cash based on events taking place now right across the globe aimed directly or indirectly, at eliminating cash as a means of payment. What he says is happening is a programme of turning economies cashless by stealth. His plea – ‘don’t fall for it. Don’t let anyone tell you this is the modern way to pay and you are being a fuddy-duddy in resisting it. The electronic payments industry is doing its best to control us. We need to understand what is going on and do everything within our power to stop it’.

To read the complete article, see:

Book Review – The War Against Cash

(http://www.currency-news.com/issues/december-2017/)

Someday perhaps, the usability and security issues will be well thought through and executed.  But things are still a mess today, to be sure.   The parking garages in nearby Reston Town Center are a nightmare from my standpoint - the last two times there I've nearly pulled my hair out in frustration trying to pay using their stupid custom app that takes several steps to set up.  Maybe it works fine for regular daily users, but for the occasional user it's a completely horrible experience.

I learned about the book through Ursula Kampmann's article in the April 5, 2018 issue of CoinsWeekly.  See below for a link to her article.
-Editor

For more information, or to order, see:

THE WAR AGAINST CASH

(https://www.harriman-house.com/waragainstcash)

The War Against Cash: The plot to empty your wallet and own your financial future – and why you must fight it

(https://www.amazon.com/War-Against-Cash-wallet-financial/dp/0857196251)

To read the complete CoinsWeekly article, see:

The War against Cash

(http://www.coinsweekly.com/en/News/The-War-against-Cash/4?&id=5286)

EL SITIO NO. 26 PUBLISHED

Nicolás Santerini submitted this English summary of the contents of the latest issue of El Sitio. Thank you!
-Editor

El Sitio No. 26

Year VII, March 2018, ISSN 1688-8952

Number 26 of “El Sitio”, the electronic magazine of the Instituto Uruguayo de Numismatica, corresponds to the March 2018 edition and has 21 pages containing three feature articles plus the usual information and news sections.

The first article, by Eduardo Cicala, recounts the travails of the secretary of the Uruguayan Bank of the Republic, Raul Montero Bustamante, to comission the 1930 commemorative issue for the Centenary of the Constitution of 1830, highly praised on its artistic merit, for which he secured the work of French artists Lucien Bazor, Pierre Turin, and Alexandre Morlon.

In the second article, “Marela”, Daniel Padula presents a medal portraying the 1950s racehorse Marela, with information on its owner, Julio Folle Larreta, and the Uruguayan horse racing scene.

The third article, “By the Skin on His Teeth”, by Giancarlo Cassanello, is a cautionary tale of how a collector recently avoided paying a considerable amount for a fake coin—incredibly, a painted lead piece—bought online, and how an equally surprised and most honest seller quickly reimbursed the balance.

An account of the comradely dinner and end-of-the-year meeting is given in the information section, which also reports on the success of the One Piece, One Story cycle of informal talks. Also, a new book by Hugo Mancebo is reviewed. “Agustin Vera: Su Libreta de Anotaciones y Yo,” or, Agustin Vera, His Notebook and Me, is a book about the life and work of the noted Uruguayan engraver Agustin Vera.

The complete issue can be viewed online (in Spanish) here:

http://iunuy.org/

NEW AUDIO: CDN LAUNCHES BOTH SIDES OF THE COIN

The folks at Coin Dealer Newsletter have begun producing a new podcast.  Here's the announcement.  Check it out!
-Editor

Have you heard? CDN President John Feigenbaum and Editors Patrick Ian Perez and Joshua McMorrow-Hernandez are dishing on the latest market buzz on a new podcast series called Both Sides of the Coin. You can now listen to every episode of this exciting new series with free downloads from iTunes. These fun, conversational 15- to 20-minute podcast episodes cover various significant news stories and important trends in the coin market. Some of the things you’ll hear on Both Sides of the Coin range from auction results to new United States Mint releases to virtually everything else that coin dealers and collectors need to know.

Both Sides of the Coin premiered in March 2018 and has been racking up hits from fans on YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter. It’s no wonder, as there’s always something new to learn from the guys on Both Sides of the Coin. CDN President John Feigenbaum has decades of experience in the coin industry and brings his keen insights on the latest in pricing, auctions, hoard discoveries, and other fascinating news from the world of coins. Meanwhile, Patrick Ian Perez’s professional background includes many years as both a coin dealer and numismatic writer, and he also loves sharing the scoop on the latest happenings from the paper currency market. CDN newcomer Joshua McMorrow-Hernandez, a longtime coin collector, is a coin journalist and blogger who shares his two cents on an array of numismatic topics.

Reaching an international audience via the internet, Both Sides of the Coin provides not only an informational, educational, and entertaining peek into the latest numismatic stories, but it also serves as an editorial arm for CDN’s flagship publications, such as Greysheet, Bluesheet, Greensheet, and Goldsheet. This assures that those who read our publications in print or online can now gain more informational context on the market activity from the very experts who deliver the essential coin pricing data that countless coin dealers, collectors, and others have trusted since 1963.

Patrick writes:

I have enjoyed doing the episodes so far and it's nice to have an opportunity to be opinionated on our hobby and offer our unique perspective.

Josh adds:

As for me, I’m just getting used to finding my natural “on-air” presence. I’m totally new to this, but I’m sure I’ll break myself in better as time goes along. Otherwise, I find the podcasts a lot of fun on my end.

The podcasts give us at CDN the opportunity to engage in a conversation with the numismatic community and share what's happening throughout many areas of the industry.

Good luck!  We'll look forward to listening to the episodes.
-Editor

To download the podcasts, see:

Both Sides Of The Coin

(https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/both-sides-of-the-coin/id1355413928)

To read the complete article, see:

“Both Sides of the Coin” Podcast Now Available for Free from iTunes

(http://blog.greysheet.com/both-sides-of-coin-itunes/)

NEWMAN PORTAL ADDS GREEN ESTATE SETTLEMENT RECORDS

The latest additions to the Newman Numismatic Portal are settlement records from the Col. Green estate.   Project Coordinator Len Augsburger provided the following report.
-Editor

Newman Portal Presents Settlement Records from the Col. Green Estate

In 1939, Eric P. Newman began negotiations with the Chase National Bank in New York to purchase the numismatic collection held by the Col. E. H. R. Green estate. Newman and St. Louis dealer Burdette G. Johnson made piecemeal purchases over time, which Johnson sold on behalf of the partnership. These records indicate sales made by Johnson, with Johnson sharing half of the proceeds with Newman. The file also details a small number of sales made by Newman on behalf of the Newman/Johnson partnership (primarily colonial paper money). Occasional correspondence between Newman and Johnson is contained throughout the file. The records end with the death of Johnson in February 1947.

The file contains various tidbits on the purchase (and sale) of the 1913 Liberty nickels. On December 20, 1941, Johnson transmits a check to Newman for $500, representing 50% of their cost for three of the pieces. On December 24, Johnson forwards advice on negotiating for the two remaining pieces. A March 24, 1943 note from Johnson to Newman indicates the sale of one of the pieces at $750. These notes were quickly found - a careful search may reveal more!

Link to Col. Green estate records on Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/archivedetail/525504

NEWMAN PORTAL SEARCH: FORRER

Project Coordinator Len Augsburger offers observations related to content being searched for on the Newman Numismatic Portal. This week's search term is "Forrer".
-Editor

This week a Newman Portal user searched for “Forrer.”  One of the most commonly consulted sources on the Newman Numismatic Portal is Leonard Forrer’s Biographical Dictionary of Medallists, a massive 8-volume set containing capsule summaries of engravers and coiners. These volumes have been widely scattered on the Internet for some time, while in contrast the Newman Portal presentation is complete and straightforward, simply listing the six regular volumes with letters covered by each, plus the two supplements. Forrer was active at Spink in London at the turn of the 20th century and headed its coin department. The Biographical Dictionary surely consumed a great deal of his free time and was published piecemeal from 1904 to 1930.

Image: Forrer’s entry on Christian Gobrecht, from volume 2 (1904).

Link to Forrer’s Biographical Dictionary of Medallists on NNP:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/books?searchLetter=B

NUMISMATIST JAN LIS AND THE BEAVER COIN ROOM

Frank Robinson  writes:

I remember him — he's involved in mostly medals. One time — decades ago — I had what I thought must be an interesting Venetian medal, brought it with me to a New York Int’l show, and somebody said Jan Lis would be my man. So I found him, he said he’d give me $100, just like that, and I was very pleased.

That was my sole encounter with him. Funny, I can actually picture what he looked like. Funnier still, only recently I happened to remember that episode for some reason, but I couldn’t think of the guy’s name. Then I saw your item and it clicked!

Phil Mernick of London writes:

Jan is a still active and is to be found at all of the London, Holiday Inn coin fairs. The Beaver Coin Room is at The Beaver Hotel which he owns, but I don’t think it is visitable.

Phil provided links for more information.  Thanks!
-Editor

>From the site of the British Numismatic Trade Association:

Beaver Coin Room

Specialities

European coins from the Middle Ages to the 18thC. Polish coins a specialty. Commemorative and artistic medals from the Renaissance to the 20thC.

To more information, see:

Beaver Coin Room

(http://www.bnta.net/index.cfm?do=individualmember&id=8)

Beaver Hotel

(http://www.beaverhotel.co.uk/)

George Kolbe writes:

My wife Linda and I stayed at the Beaver Hotel in London on two different occasions, in the 1980s if memory serves. Rooms were available with communal bathrooms or in-room ones; we chose the latter. A full English breakfast was included. The hotel is well-situated and we enjoyed both of our stays there.

The proprietor of the hotel was and is none other than Jan Lis, and the Beaver Coin Room is situated on the premises. Unfortunately, on both occasions, Jan Lis was away from the hotel and we were not able to visit the coin room. Over the years, we often met in New York at NYINC, in London, and other European cities when major numismatic libraries were being dispersed.

Medals are Jan’s numismatic specialty and his library on that topic is exceptional. Jan is among those pleasant friends and acquaintances that have made numismatic bookselling such an enjoyable adventure.

Ira Rezak of Stony Brook, New York writes:

Jan is a friend of mine, a coin dealer who runs the Beaver Hotel in London!
His collecting specialty is the coins and medals of Poland.

I've known Jan since the 1970's when he first came regularly to the New York international Coin Show and have visited the Beaver Coin Room, which is located in the Beaver Hotel, many times since and as recently as last year. I believe that Harry Waterson's advertising plaquette dates to the 1980s.

Attached are images of Jan Lis' private medal, cast in bronze, 100 mm in diameter, by Jane McAdam Freud; it commemorates Jan's 47th birthday in 1988. The reverse shows a beaver (referencing the Beaver Coin Room) and a Fox, along with water lilies and a fleur-de-lis.  The Latin translates as "not a lily but a fox" because one might have assumed that Lis meant lily, as it does in French, while it actually means fox in Polish, Jan Lis's familial language and his principal numismatic collecting interest.

Great medal! Thanks, everyone!
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: APRIL 1, 2018 : c1970 Jan Lis Numismatist Business Card Medal

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n13a27.html)

APRIL FOOLS ISSUE, 2018

Our first issue of April brought with it several April Fool stories. Here's what readers had to say.  The first comment, arriving shortly after publication, was "A couple of these articles look like fake news."
-Editor

Joel Orosz writes:

Great April Fool's story on World War II Remembered being made into a major motion picture.  I knew it had to be a prank because if they ever make a numismatic movie, I'll surely be offered the leading man's role!

Seriously, this story is a fitting addition to your great catalog of past pranks, including the ANS-ANA Merger, which still makes me chuckle to think about it!

Fred Schwan deserves the credit for that one.  It really was what he published in MPC Gram.  One other story was my own doing, plus a couple items submitted by readers. See the links below for the 2007 story BLOCKBUSTER ANNOUNCEMENT: ANA, ANS TO MERGE; DUPLICATE SALE PLANNED.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

RIGHTS TO WORLD WAR II REMEMBERED SOLD

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n13a08.html)

BLOCKBUSTER ANNOUNCEMENT: ANA, ANS TO MERGE; DUPLICATE SALE PLANNED

(http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v10n13a04.html)

APRIL FOOLERY: NO, THE ANS ISN'T MERGING WITH THE ANA. HOWEVER...

(http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v10n14a02.html)

Dennis Tucker of Whitman Publishing writes:

The Mega Red press release was an elaborate ruse. The 4th edition is actually devoted to trimes, not dimes!

OK, now I don't know what to believe...  but I won't hold my breath looking for the trimes issue.
-Editor

To read the complete article, see:

NEW BOOK: MEGA RED 4TH EDITION

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n13a04.html)

Dave Lange writes:

Gene Brandenburg's 1911 half eagle is a Philadelphia coin in at least one respect---the dies were made there.

He can have it fixed by NGC at no charge, but if wants the label to note that it's the scarce repunched mintmark variety FS-501, that will be a $15 fee!

For more information, see:

Indian Head $5 (1908-1929)

(https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/united-states/gold-half-eagles/4120/815696/)

Chris Bower writes:

You know I looked for that "S" for at least 5 minutes before realizing what day you published it.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: APRIL 1, 2018 : A Rare 1911 $5 Gold Piece

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n13a17.html)

Dave adds:

Oh, and by the way, my story of the blue coin board was an April Fool's Day joke, provided courtesy of PhotoShop.

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle - Dave got me on that one.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

COIN BOARD NEWS SPRING 2018 ISSUE PUBLISHED

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n13a09.html)

Pete Smith writes:

I woke up on Sunday morning with the realization that it was the first of April, Easter and April Fools Day. My next thought was, "I wonder what Wayne is going to put in the issue of The E-Sylum tonight. Following are some observations.

1.  I questioned the sale of the rights to World War II Remembered. Then I got to the final paragraph. I can see Joe Boling as General McArthur and Tom Hanks as Boling. However, casting Schwan as Eisenhower and Brad Pitt as Schwan could only be a delusion in the imagination of Schwan.

2.  The grading services make occasional errors with their labels. I have handled pieces marked with the wrong denomination or mint mark. Some dealers may find a market for such errors. I have sent pieces back to be relabeled at no charge.

Gene Brandenberg writes about a 1911 $5 gold piece with a labeling error. I am not sure if this is Gene's April Fools joke or Wayne's.

3.  Then there is the story of rabbit coins that multiply. I would think that people would be eager to find extra coins obtained at no cost.

4.  Finally I found the article Coin Collecting Goes Digital. I followed the link at the bottom to read a whimsical article about sports cards but not about trading digital coins.

Pete's is the most thorough response to the issue.  As noted, credit for the first two goes to Fred Schwan and Gene Brandenburg.  Thanks to David Pickup for No Shortage of Rabbit Coins.  The last piece, COIN COLLECTING GOES DIGITAL was mine.   I took a section of a real article on digital baseball card collecting and substituted coin collecting words and phrases.
-Editor

To read the original article, see:

>From wax packs to mobile apps: Baseball card collecting goes digital to reconnect with kids

(http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-baseball-card-collecting-industry-20180326-story.html)

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: APRIL 1, 2018 : No Shortage of Rabbit Coins

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n13a17.html)

COIN COLLECTING GOES DIGITAL

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n13a37.html)

Actually, the digital coin collecting piece might turn out some day to not be so far from the mark.  What's happening in other hobbies could be a bellwether for what to expect next in numismatics.  A new day has already dawned.

Here's another questionable report published April 1st.
If you spotted any others, let us know.  Just don't call dealer grades and pricing "fake news".  "Wishful thinking" or "creative writing" perhaps, but "fake news" is a little harsh...
-Editor

 American Breakfast Cereal Coins

At Friday’s meeting of the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC), design candidate portfolios were reviewed for the American Breakfast Cereal Heritage Act, which calls for a series of $1 commemorative coins that will enter into production in 2019, the 125th Anniversary of the introduction of Corn Flakes.

To read the complete article, see:

First Design for American Breakfast Cereal Heritage Dollar Coin Program Approved by CCAC

(https://coinweek.com/us-mint-news/first-design-for-american-breakfast-cereal-heritage-act-approved-by-ccac/)

To read the last year's April Fool article summary, see:

APRIL FOOLS ISSUE, 2017

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v20/esylum_v20n15a02.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: APRIL 8, 2018

 Summa Contra “Obliquely”?
Mike Marotta writes:

I proposed an article for The Numismatist about “Viewing Coins Obliquely.” Editor Barbara Gregory is interested, but she wants me to include authoritative opposing opinions. Are there any people here who deny the thesis that some Celtic and other coins were intentionally created to be viewed obliquely in order to present a three-dimensional image?

Any takers?  Mike can be reached at:

uszik11 at gmail.com
.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

VIEWING COINS OBLIQUELY

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n09a18.html)

ON ORIENTING AND VIEWING COINS

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n10a13.html)

 1889 National League Sporting Times Medal
Sought
Dave Hirt of Frederick, MD writes:

With the start of the baseball season I came across an interesting baseball item.
In the 1943 Higgy sale, lot 1302 is described as:

"Fine gold and silver medal presented by the Sporting
Times to the best all around player in the National League in 1889. Four small diamonds at the bases. In original case.:"

  I do not have the PRL of this sale. The estimate was $100.  Does anyone know more about this medal, or its whereabouts?

Interesting.  Is anyone familiar with this medal?
-Editor

 Government Opposition to Gold Ownership
David Thomason Alexander of Patterson, New York writes:

Interesting discussion of the American Arts Gold Medallions program in the last issue. One overarching reality was not discussed, however, the total opposition of the U.S. Treasury and Mint to the program and their fundamental opposition to American citizens' interest in gold and gold ownership. For an in-depth examination, please see the "Coin World Comprehensive Catalog and Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins," published in the
1990's. Better yet see my thorough examination of this largely forgotten effort in my updating of Cornelius Vermeule's epic "Numismatic Art in America," Whitman, 2007,  pp 212-215.

Treasury wanted the series to fail and did all it could to assure this from omitting statements of weight and fineness, avoiding reeded edges and other coin-like features. Ordering was made deliberately clumsy and packaging was
simply abominable on the early releases. The American people had effectively forgotten gold and the Mint had no desire to re-awaken their interest.

Despite design overhauls later in the series, the program was not a success. The whole thing was a sorry mess and yes, it was a failure.

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

ON THE AMERICAN ARTS GOLD

(http://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n13a15.html)

 Joint Monarchs on Coins

Last week Martin Purdy wrote:

The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. For more information please
see our web site at
http://www.coinbooks.org/.

There is a membership application available on the web site
at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_member_app.html

To join, print the application and return it with your check
to the address printed on the application. Membership is only
$15 to addresses in the U.S., $20 for First Class mail, and
$25 elsewhere.  For those without web access, write to:

David M. Sundman, Secretary/Treasurer
Numismatic Bibliomania Society,
P. O. Box 82 Littleton, NH 03561

For Asylum mailing address changes and other membership
questions, contact David at this email address:
dsundman at LittletonCoin.com

To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, just
address: whomren at gmail.com <!-- at coinlibrary.com-->

Those wishing to become new E-Sylum subscribers
(or wishing to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page:

All past E-Sylum issues are archived on the NBS web site at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_archive.html

Issues from September 2002 to date are also archived at this address:
http://my.binhost.com/pipermail/esylum