The E-Sylum v26n50 December 10, 2023

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Dec 10 19:25:58 PST 2023

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 26, Number 50, December 10, 2023
** WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM DECEMBER 10, 2023 <#a01>
** NBS BIBLIOTALK PODCAST WITH JOHN HOSKINS <#a02>
** NEW BOOKS: COINS OF ENGLAND 2024 <#a03>
** NEW BOOK: MONNAIES EURO FRANCAISES 2023 <#a04>
** NEW BOOK: 100 GREATEST ANCIENT COINS, 3RD ED. <#a05>
** BOOK REVIEW: THE 1909 LINCOLN WHEAT CENT <#a06>
** SANTA CLAUS ON THE NEWMAN NUMISMATIC PORTAL <#a07>
** VIDEO: NATIONAL CURRENCY FOUNDATION <#a08>
** MORE ON MONEY MUSEUMS IN THE U.S. <#a09>
** NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: DECEMBER 10, 2023 <#a10>
** 1894 LETTER ON MINT DOCUMENT DESTRUCTION <#a11>
** SEMIQUINCENTENNIAL COIN DESIGN IDEAS <#a12>
** SEMIQUINCENTENNIAL LOGO REVEALED <#a13>
** U.S. MINT SEMIQUINCENTENNIAL COIN SURVEYS  <#a14>
** VOCABULARY TERM: OVERLAP <#a15>
** PHILATELIC MUSEUMS IN THE UNITED STATES <#a16>
** DAVID SCHENKMAN INTERVIEW, PART SIX <#a17>
** ANACS FIRST-GENERATION SLABS <#a18>
** VILA RICA MOEDAS AUCTION 19 <#a19>
** THE LUGDUNUM AUCTION 23 <#a20>
** NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: DECEMBER 10, 2023 <#a21>
** JUNO ON ANCIENT COINS <#a22>
** AUSSIES QUEUE FOR TWOS <#a23>
** SINGAPORE LINES UP FOR $10 COINS <#a24>
** MIKE TYSON'S “BADDEST COIN ON THE PLANET” <#a25>
** STACK'S BOWERS COSTA RICA BANKNOTES <#a26>
** GAZA CASH CONVOY MOVES BANKNOTES  <#a27>
** APPLE COMPUTER CHECK BRINGS BIG BUCKS <#a28>
** NOTEWORTHY ISSUES 0.005 BITCOIN NOTE <#a29>
** LOOSE CHANGE: DECEMBER 10, 2023 <#a30>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to read the thin version on the web

Click here for the NBS Facebook group

Click here to subscribe

Click here to unsubscribe

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM DECEMBER 10, 2023

New subscribers this week include:
Stuart Weinerman.
Welcome aboard!

This week we open with a new NBS podcast, four new books,
updates from the Newman Numismatic Portal, money museums, and more.

Other topics this week include Santa Claus notes, the National Currency Foundation, semiquincentennial coin designs, ANACS slabs, auction previews, Juno on ancient coins, worldwide coin mania, Gaza's cash convoy
and new physical bitcoin notes.

To learn more about 1794 large cent pedigrees, coins of England and France, the 100 Greatest Ancient Coins, Dahlonega gold, U.S. Mint document destruction, overlap designs,  Polhemus counterstamps, Brazil's titanium coin, the baddest coin on the planet, Juno Moneta,
and the Sringfield Stamp Museum, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

Image of the week

NBS BIBLIOTALK PODCAST WITH JOHN HOSKINS

The latest episode of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society podcast is now available for listening. It's on the NBS web site but also available elsewhere. President Len Augsburger provided this report.
-Editor

NBS Podcast Features Literature Collector John Hoskins

The latest episode of the NBS Bibliotalk podcast, “A Research Library, with John Hoskins“ is now available on the NBS website and other popular podcasting platforms such as Buzzsprout. Hoskins started as a young collector in the 1970s, picking out interesting pieces in pocket change. As often happens, John’s interest in the hobby waned during his teenage years. John came back to the hobby in his early 30s, collecting early U.S. copper and consulting the related works on varieties by Bill Noyes and John Wright.

In the 2010s, John became more interested in collecting the earliest literature related to U.S. copper and colonial coins. His first significant acquisition was a plated Chapman catalog (Beckwith, 1923), and most of his purchases are guided by the research value of a given volume. Pedigrees of 1794 large cents are a particular interest, and Hoskins has made a number of discoveries in the ownership chains of various examples. John’s interests are not exclusively focused on U.S. numismatics, and he also pursues literature in the fields of ancient numismatics, European medals, and Conder tokens. John is especially drawn to literature in its original state, volumes which have not been rebound or excessively repaired. Join us for this podcast, Including John’s story of how he saved $10,000 by not buying a particular item at the Syd Martin library sale.

The NBS podcast is hosted and produced by Lianna Spurrier of Numismatic Marketing.

Link to “A Research Library, with John Hoskins” on the NBS website:

https://www.coinbooks.org/resources/podcast.html

NEW BOOKS: COINS OF ENGLAND 2024

The 2024 editions of Coins of England have been published by Spink.
-Editor

Coins of England and the United Kingdom Pre-Decimal and Decimal volumes comprise the Standard Catalogue of British Coins, and is still the only catalogue to feature every major coin type from Celtic to the Decimal coinage of Queen Elizabeth II.  The 10th edition of the Decimal volume contains all coins minted during the reign of Queen Elizabeth II, also introducing the new coinage of King Charles III.

Coins of England & the United Kingdom 2024, Pre-Decimal Issues, 59th edition

£35.00

Hardback / 216 x 138mm / 640 pages with colour illustrations throughout

ALSO AVAILABLE AS A DOWNLOADABLE PDF

This historic reference work for British coins is still the only catalogue to feature every major coin type from Celtic to the Decimal coinage of Queen Elizabeth II, arranged in chronological order and divided into metals under each reign, then into coinages, denominations and varieties.  All decimal coinage since 1968 is listed in a separate volume, available as an independent publication.

The catalogue includes up-to-date values for every coin, a beginner’s guide to coin collecting, numismatic terms explained and historical information about each British coin, from our earliest (Celtic) coins, Roman, Anglo-Saxon and Norman coins, the coins of the Plantagenet Kings, the Houses of Lancaster and York, the Tudors and Stuarts, to the more modern Milled coinage, minted for the first time in 1561 during the reign of Elizabeth I.

>From the earliest of times, coins have been used by states or monarchs to communicate with people; Coins of England is therefore not only a reference book for collectors, but a fascinating snapshot of British history, illuminating its economics, technology, art, politics and religion.  Over 3,000 price changes have been made in this edition to reflect market activity during the past year.

Coins of England & the United Kingdom 2024, Decimal Issues, 10th edition

£20.00

Hardback / 216 x 138mm / 440 pages with colour illustrations throughout

ALSO AVAILABLE AS A DOWNLOADABLE PDF

Coins of England and the United Kingdom Pre-Decimal and Decimal volumes comprise the Standard Catalogue of British Coins.  This 10th edition of the Decimal volume contains all coins minted during the reign of Queen Elizabeth II, also introducing the new coinage of King Charles III.

The Decimal issue gives a comprehensive overview of all individual coins and sets issued by the Royal Mint since 1971 (and in circulation since 1968), offering an authoritative catalogue of modern British coins.

For more information, or to order, see:

Coins of England & the United Kingdom 2024, Pre-Decimal Issues, 59th edition

(https://spinkbooks.com/products/coins-of-england-the-united-kingdom-2024-pre-decimal-issues-59th-edition)

Coins of England & the United Kingdom 2024, Decimal Issues, 10th edition

(https://spinkbooks.com/products/coins-of-england-the-united-kingdom-decimal-issues-10th-edition)

NEW BOOK: MONNAIES EURO FRANCAISES 2023

The new 2023 edition of the book on French Euro coins has been published by Gadoury.
-Editor

Monnaies Euro Francaises 2023

Author: LAURENT BONNEAU

Publisher: Gadoury

Year: 2023

Language: French

Available

€  59.00

This unique work is an opportunity to retrace European construction since 1992 through monetary history. City ECUs and euros, circulation and collector's coins, including tests, blanks, varieties and faults.

For more information, or to order, see:

https://www.gadoury.com/fr/livres/monnaies-euro-francaises-2023

NEW BOOK: 100 GREATEST ANCIENT COINS, 3RD ED.

Whitman has announced the new edition of Harlan Berk’s 100 Greatest Ancient Coins.
-Editor

Harlan J. Berk and the Gift of Ancient Coins

The third edition of Harlan J. Berk’s 100 Greatest Ancient Coins will debut in December
2023, available from bookstores and hobby shops nationwide, and online (including at
Whitman.com). Here, David Hendin, vice president and adjunct curator of the American
Numismatic Society, shares his thoughts on the book and its author.

The greatest thing about Harlan Berk’s 100 Greatest Ancient Coins—aside from the coins!—is
that even family and friends of collectors will appreciate the fabulous photos of these treasures
and Harlan’s concise historic explanations. Collectors fear not, however, since Harlan has also
provided current scholarly information to satisfy them as well. He also gives us a book that
covers Greek, Roman, and so-called Byzantine coins in a single, impressively entertaining and
informative volume.

I can’t think of another person more qualified to have written this popular book than Harlan J.
Berk. He is a serious collector and connoisseur of art and paintings. (He has amassed the best-
known collection of Chicago Modernists.) Anyone who has even chatted casually with Harlan
knows his excitement for the subjects, as well as his expertise. He has also been a leading coin
dealer, based in Chicago, for more than fifty years. He maintains an extensive numismatic library
at his office and welcomes collectors and scholars. I’m proud to say that we have been friends
for fifty years or so.

Harlan is obsessed with beauty and workmanship of coins, which, he notes, “have been collected
almost since they were issued. There is evidence that the leaders of some great cities issued
wonderful artistic coins made by recognized artists so that future generations would know what
heights they reached. . . . Renaissance kings and princes collected coins. . . . Today ancient coins
are collected around the globe.”

If you are one of those readers who tend to skip the text and admire the beautiful photos and look
up values—don’t even think about it. Harlan’s notable introduction explains a great deal about
ancient art and how it evolved; in the third edition of 100 Greatest Ancient Coins he adds a new
section on cave paintings. We also get Harlan’s quick guided tour of coinage from the beginning
up to the Eastern Roman Empire (the topic of one of his other important books), as well as an
overview of collecting, grading, and authentication. Especially illuminating is Harlan’s snapshot
of how the values of these coins have evolved from the mid-twentieth century forward. I’ve been
reading about ancient coins for more than fifty-five years, and I learned something!

In this third edition, Harlan has paid special attention to updating his text on Tyre shekels, coins
with portraits of Cleopatra VII, Athenian owl tetradrachms (a significant summary that updates
dating theories and suggests that some later Athens types, once believed to be Athenian in origin,
were actually struck in the ancient East), the Horseman staters of Tarentum, Brutus’s Eid Mar
coins, Nero’s Port of Ostia sestertius, Titus’s Colosseum sestertius, Constantine IV folles, and
the Judaea Capta sestertius. Photos of these coins and others have been upgraded to even more
fabulous than in previous editions.

If you are a collector on a budget, you don’t need to worry. If you cannot afford to purchase all
100 of these significant coin types, there are many first-cousins of the “100 Greatest” that can
still be purchased for less than $100.

It’s not easy to write about the “best 100” of anything. Harlan presents his numismatic hit parade
in the order they were issued, hence #87, the Ionia electrum stater, is listed first. There is also an
appendix that lists the coins in their order of “greatness,” as well as an appendix that shows the
coins in actual size alongside each other together with dimensions, weight, and page number
where the coin is featured.

Even some collectors often pass over words they do not fully understand. Harlan provides a brief
but excellent illustrated glossary of terms, locations, and mythological and actual names that
enhance the book’s value.

It’s no wonder that the first two editions of this classic book are “out of print.” It is the perfect
gift for your cousin, aunt, uncle, mom, dad, sibling, grandpa, or friend who collects ancient
coins. In fact, it’s a fun book to read for anyone interested in ancient history.

Coin collectors have a well-known saying: “Buy the book before the coin.” In this case you must
have the book, so in this case it is okay to buy it before or after you buy the coin. You will be
paging through it for many years to come.

100 Greatest Ancient Coins, third edition

By Harlan J. Berk; foreword by David Hendin.

ISBN 0794850692

Hardcover, coffee-table size. 152 pages. Full color.

Retail $34.95 U.S.

https://whitman.com/100-greatest-ancient-coins-3rd-edition

BOOK REVIEW: THE 1909 LINCOLN WHEAT CENT

The December 2023 issue of ErrorScope from the Combined Organizations of Numismatic Error Collectors of America (CONECA) included a review by Greg Bennick of Shawn Tew’s new book The Rabbit Hole of the 1909 Lincoln Wheat Cent. With permission, we're republishing it here. Thanks to Greg and ErrorScope editor Allan Anderson.
-Editor

Congratulations to Shawn Tew on the publication of not just an insightful book on a classic American coin, but an important exploration into variety collecting overall. The 1909 cent is and has been an American classic for generations, but few know the aspects of the coin’s history from the perspectives this book offers. Tew starts by giving us insight into the transition between the Indian cent and Lincoln cent designs from within the mint, and the inner dynamics between engravers at the time – inner workings which were not always smoothly collaborative.

Shawn's book is extensively researched, exploring the now-known varieties of reverses for the 1909 cent. Thanks to recent discoveries, and the author and collaborators exploring the “rabbit hole” of this area of study, substantial detail is documented in the pages of this book which has not appeared elsewhere. The research is new, and the publication of this book will certainly draw attention to the 1909 cent, even more so than it has had for the last 100+ years.

The book is easy to read, and the research has been quite thorough exploring letters and history between engraver Charles Barber who was in his late 60’s around the time this Lincoln cent transition happened, and the talented young Victor David Brenner, just 38 at the time of the letters. The book describes the seeming distaste that Barber had for Brenner. We get to read those letters and can see that Barber offers a tone to Brenner which is patriarchal at best and condescending at worst. Barber describes details about the minting process that Brenner already would likely have known and was clearly pulling rank.

The book is an excellent study on varieties overall in that it gives the backstory for how this particular series of varieties came about. And there are more coins to explore than just the two reverses (this is the “rabbit hole”). The book shifts the study of varieties from being one of classification of types, to being an exploration of how those types came to be. We read how the master hubs during the transitional year in 1909 for the Lincoln wheat cent created two different reverses but what is truly fascinating is that the majority of work on the reverses of the 1909 cent was not done until just recently. A grand hoard of uncirculated cents was put away in August of 1909, which allowed research on finely detailed parts of the reverses of these coins to take place only recently.

This book explains that process and offers historical analysis and does so in great detail during its 114 pages. To the reader, it becomes apparent throughout that there are always discoveries to be made, regardless of how old the coin is or how much research has been done. Certainly the 1909 VDB and 1909 S-VDB cents have already had their share of attention over the last century.

This book sheds new light on new research and is an important part of the story of American coinage and of variety collecting - and also of errors – overall.

The book even explores the intersection of technology and numismatic research in describing advanced microscopy exploration of the Type One and Type Two reverses known for the 1909 cent.

Overall, this book is recommended for anyone interested in numismatic research, analysis of varieties, or history. Tew offers new insights into the reverses of these seemingly old cents and provides new historical and numismatic context on a level that has not been done with this particular issue before.

The book is available in hardcover on Amazon.

Interested in error and variety coins? Join CONECA!

https://conecaonline.org/

For more information, or to order, see:

The Rabbit Hole of the 1909 Lincoln Wheat Cent [Print Replica]

(https://www.amazon.com/Rabbit-Hole-1909-Lincoln-Wheat-ebook/dp/B0CDHKT891)

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

THE RABBIT HOLE OF THE 1909 WHEAT CENT

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v26/esylum_v26n30a10.html)

NEW BOOK: THE 1909 LINCOLN WHEAT CENT

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v26/esylum_v26n33a04.html)

THE BOOK BAZARRE

 KENNETH W. RENDELL
has traveled the world tracking down, buying, and selling the most significant,
iconic historical letters and documents from the ancient world through the Renaissance to today. Read
about his early start as a rare-coin dealer in the 1950s—and much more—in his thrilling new memoir,
Safeguarding History. Order your copy online (including
at
Whitman.com
), or call 1-800-546-2995.

SANTA CLAUS ON THE NEWMAN NUMISMATIC PORTAL

Newman Numismatic Portal Project Coordinator Len Augsburger provided the following seasonal report.
-Editor

There is No Santa Claus in Numismatics

An old saw holds that “there is no Santa Claus in numismatics.” A quick check of the Newman Portal reveals the saw to not be so old; indeed, most of the early uses appear in the Bowers house publications beginning in 1970. Bowers in turn credits Lee Hewitt, but even there the Numismatic Scrapbook uses the phrase only beginning in 1969. Regardless of when it first appeared, today we can say that Santa Claus appears frequently in numismatics, with 3,486 records identified across the Newman Portal.

Santa Claus notes are especially popular among paper money collectors, with this New Ulm, MN proof note attracting a winning bid of $35,250 in the Newman VI sale (Heritage Auctions, April 23, 2015), lot 19159. The Heritage catalog notes that this is the only known Santa Claus vignette among Minnesota notes. The rendering of Santa Claus by Baldwin, Adams & Co. would not be terribly recognizable to modern viewers, but the sleigh and reindeer clearly invoke the mythology of St. Nick.

Link to “Santa Claus” items on Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/searchwithterms?searchterm=santa%20claus

VIDEO: NATIONAL CURRENCY FOUNDATION

The David Lisot Video Library on the Newman Numismatic Portal can be found at:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/multimediadetail/522852

We highlight one of his videos each week in The E-Sylum.
Here's one from 2017 with Andrew Shiva speaking about the National Currency Foundation.
-Editor

Andrew Shiva, Founder, National Currency Foundation, interviewer: David Lisot, CoinTelevision.com. VIDEO: 2:41.

A person committed to the pursuit of knowledge about United States paper money and especially national bank notes is Andrew Shiva. Hear from this extraordinary individual who has done so much work for the field of collecting.

To watch the complete video, see:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/548606

MORE ON MONEY MUSEUMS IN THE U.S.

Last week Pete Smith enumerated Money Museums in the United States, past and present. Here are some reader notes on the topic.
-Editor

John Phipps adds:

Dahlonega Gold Museum in Dahlonega, Georgia

https://www.stateparks.com/dahlonega_gold_museum_historic_site_in_georgia.html

DAHLONEGA GOLD MUSEUM HISTORIC SITE

Twenty years before the famed 1849 gold rush in California, thousands of prospectors flocked into the Cherokee Nation in north Georgia, marking the true beginning of our country's first gold rush. Their dramatic story is told inside the historic 1836 Lumpkin County Courthouse, the oldest courthouse in Georgia. Dahlonega prospered with this mining activity, and a U.S. Branch Mint opened in 1838, coining more than $6 million in gold before closing in 1861. The museum's exhibits include a set of these coins, a nugget weighing more than five ounces, a large hydraulic cannon and nozzle used to blast soil from mountainsides, a film and gift shop.

Newman Numismatic Portal Project Coordinator Len Augsburger writes:

I should clarify Pete’s comments regarding the Newman Money Museum, which was operated from 2006-2018 in the Kemper Art Building on the Washington University campus in St. Louis. The Museum was closed in 2018. Today, Olin Library, on the same campus, periodically features numismatic exhibits in the Newman Tower exhibit gallery, which is located on the main floor of the library. A new group of such exhibits will be opening in mid-January, and more information will be forthcoming on this topic.

Larry Edwards provided some address updates:

Great list of money museums!

Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago is at 230 S. LaSalle Street.

Chicago History Museum is at 1601 N. Clark St  (which is actually the SW corner of Lincoln Park) but GPS might do better with the address.

Blind Coin Collector blogger
Tom Babinszki writes:

I was so happy to read the list of museums last week, it definitely put a few on my bucket list I have never heard about. Though probably Howard Berlin knows them all, as I understand he by far didn't cover all the museums of the world in his Numismatourist book.

I would like to contribute a few more items to the list, which I have personally visited and mostly written about.

I think the only major miss here was the Coin Gallery of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, which has a huge and extensive collection.
Here is a direct link to the collection:

https://www.mfa.org/gallery/ancient-coins

And what I wrote about my visit:

https://blindcoincollector.com/2016/12/10/visiting-the-coin-gallery-at-the-museum-of-fine-arts-in-boston/

The rest of the museums I know are much smaller, but I feel they would be worth mentioning:

The Ottilia Buerger collection and more items at the Lawrence University in Appleton, Wysconsin.
Their web site is:

https://library.artstor.org/#/collection/87732176

I wrote about their coin petting zoo project at:

https://blindcoincollector.com/2019/12/08/coin-petting-zoo-at-the-lawrence-university/

The New Orleans Mint Museum. It is at the bottom of the Jazz Museum, if you ask me it is rather underwhelming, but certainly deserves a place on the list. Their site is:

https://louisianastatemuseum.org/museum/new-orleans-jazz-museum-old-us-mint

And what I wrote about it, probably my least interesting article, but in a way a different documentation of my numismatic venturing:

https://blindcoincollector.com/2022/07/23/the-new-orleans-mint-when-things-dont-go-well/

The last one is a small collection at the Allen Memorial Art Museum, in Oberlin, Ohio.
I have not been at the collection itself yet, but I personally met the curator a few weeks ago, so I have evidence that it exists.

https://amam.oberlin.edu/art/collections/ancient

I hope it adds some useful information to Pete’s great collection.

Thanks, everyone. I've passed these on to Pete for the next iteration of his list. See his new article in this issue, where he takes a look at our sister hobby - philatelic museums in the U.S.  How many are there? Read on to find out.

Howard Berlin's 2014 book, The Numismatourist opens with a great review of the current money museums in the U.S. and goes on to cover the world in the bulk of the book.  Pete reaches back into history to cover U.S. money museums that have closed their doors. Great work all around.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

MONEY MUSEUMS IN THE U.S., PART ONE

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v26/esylum_v26n49a16.html)

MONEY MUSEUMS IN THE U.S., PART TWO

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v26/esylum_v26n49a17.html)

NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: DECEMBER 10, 2023

 Christmas 1884 Love Token on $1 Gold Piece
Bob Hurst writes:

"Thank you very much for your hard work with The E-Sylum.  I enjoy reading it first thing on Monday mornings.  I thought with Christmas coming up in a few weeks that readers might like to see a really nice 'love token' that I have owned for over 30 years.
I have attached photos of both sides.  It is a really nice Type 3, $1."

Indeed - very nice piece! Thank you.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

SILVER AND GOLD COIN LOVE TOKEN JEWELRY

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v26/esylum_v26n49a13.html)

 Lincoln Cent 115 Years Old in 2024
Tom Bridgeman of Rosenberg, Texas writes:

"While reading the E-Sylum about the Lincoln cent, I noticed (what I think is) a huge mistake in Allen Davisson's article.  It states that the Lincoln cent will be 125 years old in 2024. Perhaps with the "new" math it could be, but I am old enough that I use old-school math which makes the cent 115 years old.

Aside from that, the article and the entire E-Sylum is, as always, an excellent read!!  Thanks for the great job!"

This is why we need publications with real editors and reporters like Coin World. Thankfully E-Sylum readers are great proofreaders and find a lot of things that slip through like that.
Thanks - good catch.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

THE CLASSIC LINCOLN CENT

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v26/esylum_v26n49a23.html)

 Visiting Coin-A-Rama City
Fred Weinberg writes:

"I drove there from around 1967 until they closed in the early/mid ’70’s, as I recall. There were other local L.A. dealers who went there on a much more regular basis than I did.  I was pretty young, and just remember seeing so many ‘vest pocket’ and regular dealers there, trading coins, talking, playing poker later (I wasn’t in that group at that time!)."

Thanks.  Coin dealers are a poker-playing bunch!
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

COIN-A-RAMA CITY

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v26/esylum_v26n47a18.html)

 BASF Emergency Notes
Ron Guth writes:

"Regarding the Badische Aniline Dollar in the latest E-Sylum, I don't think the name of the note has anything to do with depositing Dutch Guilders.  Anilin (Analine) was a chemical product produced by BASF and was the A of the company's initials ever since its founding in 1865.  Like BASF, numerous firms produced emergency money and they are more appropriately named after the firm, not after their product.  Thus, the proper name for this note is BASF currency."

Thanks. That makes more sense. I wondered if I was missing something when the article described it as "the so-called aniline dollar" and later "hence the nickname Aniline Dollar".
Since BASF isn't a government, rather than "currency" I think I would call it "BASF Scrip" or "BASF Emergency Money."
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

THE ANILINE DOLLAR

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v26/esylum_v26n49a26.html)

 1895 College Point, NY Counterfeiter

Jim Haas passed along this newspaper clipping inspired by last week's item about catching a counterfeiter.  Thanks!
-Editor

Jim adds:

"Officer John P. Kraebel and my great grandfather Charles Dockendorf served on the College Point Police Force in the 1890s."

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

LOOSE CHANGE: DECEMBER 3, 2023 : Counterfeit Shover Eats Fake Bills

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v26/esylum_v26n49a29.html)

The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. For more information please
see our web site at
http://www.coinbooks.org/.

There is a membership application available on the web site
at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_member_app.html

To join, print the application and return it with your check
to the address printed on the application. Membership is only
$15 to addresses in the U.S., $20 for First Class mail, and
$25 elsewhere.  For those without web access, write to:

David M. Sundman, Secretary/Treasurer
Numismatic Bibliomania Society,
P. O. Box 82 Littleton, NH 03561

For Asylum mailing address changes and other membership
questions, contact David at this email address:
dsundman at LittletonCoin.com

To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, just
address: whomren at gmail.com <!-- at coinlibrary.com-->

Those wishing to become new E-Sylum subscribers
(or wishing to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page:

All past E-Sylum issues are archived on the NBS web site at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_archive.html

Issues from September 2002 to date are also archived at this address:
http://my.binhost.com/pipermail/esylum