The E-Sylum v26n47 November 19, 2023

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Nov 19 20:21:36 PST 2023

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 26, Number 47, November 19, 2023
** WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM NOVEMBER 19, 2023 <#a01>
** SIGNED AND INSCRIBED RED BOOKS OFFERED <#a02>
** NEW BOOK: MONNAIES FRANçAISES, 1789-2023 <#a03>
** NEW BOOKS: ALPHA BANK EXHIBIT CATALOGS <#a04>
** NEW BOOK: PAPER TIGERS <#a05>
** BOOK REVIEW: GUIDE BOOK BARBER COINS 3RD ED. <#a06>
** ANA OPENS THE READING ROOM <#a07>
** ERIC BROTHERS ON THE SUSAN B. ANTHONY DOLLAR <#a08>
** VIDEO: U.S. MINT LIMITED EDITIONS & SPECIAL FINISHES <#a09>
** NUMI: AI-POWERED COIN IDENTIFICATION APP <#a10>
** NUMI: HOW THE AI SAUSAGE IS MADE <#a11>
** TAYLOR SWIFT AND NUMISMATICS <#a12>
** NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: NOVEMBER 19, 2023 <#a13>
** MONEY MUSEUM OF THE NATIONAL BANK OF DETROIT <#a14>
** SEMIQUINCENTENNIAL QUARTER DESIGN IDEAS <#a15>
** ON CIRCULATING COMMEMORATIVE COINS <#a16>
** VOCABULARY TERM: OROIDE <#a17>
** COIN-A-RAMA CITY <#a18>
** DAVID SCHENKMAN INTERVIEW, PART THREE <#a19>
** TITANIC VICTIM JOHN GILL'S SILVER DOLLAR <#a20>
** 2024 MADISON COUNTY COIN CLUB MEDAL <#a21>
** JAMIE FRANKI ART WORK BENEFITS PAN <#a22>
** NUMISMAGRAM MEDAL SELECTIONS: NOVEMBER 19, 2023 <#a23>
** HOLABIRD NOVEMBER 2023 SALE SELECTIONS <#a24>
** ARCHIVES INTERNATIONAL HUNTSVILLE SELECTIONS <#a25>
** HAYDEN DECEMBER 2023 TOKEN SELECTIONS <#a26>
** WAYNE'S NUMISMATIC DIARY: NOVEMBER 12, 2023, PART 3 <#a27>
** 3,000 ANCIENT COINS UNCOVERED IN ITALY <#a28>
** 100,000 ANCIENT COINS UNCOVERED IN JAPAN <#a29>
** COPPER COIN POT UNEARTHED IN PAKISTAN <#a30>
** ‘INVERTED JENNY’ STAMP BRINGS $2 MILLION <#a31>
** 1624 PERPETUAL DUTCH BOND STILL PAYS INTEREST <#a32>
** THE UNKNOWN SALVOR REVEALED <#a33>
** LOOSE CHANGE: NOVEMBER 19, 2023 <#a34>
** FEATURED WEBSITE: BOOKS ON COINS <#a35>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to read the thin version on the web

Click here for the NBS Facebook group

Click here to subscribe

Click here to unsubscribe

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM NOVEMBER 19, 2023

New subscribers this week include:
Harold Fears.
Welcome aboard!

On this date in 1863, Abraham Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address at the dedication of the Soldiers’ National Cemetery in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.

This week we open with a signed Red Book offering, four new books, a review, updates from the ANA and Newman Numismatic Portal, and more.

Other topics this week include Barber coins, a coin identification and grading app, Taylor Swift's great-grandfather banker,
the Money Museum of the National Bank of Detroit, oroide, Coin-A-Rama City, fixed price and auction offerings, ancient coin hoards, the Inverted Jenny, and a 1624 bond that still pays interest.

To learn more about the Alpha Bank Collection, paper money dealers,
the Reading Room,  the Susan B. Anthony Dollar, counterfeit coins in fake PCGS holders, semiquincentennial quarter design ideas, Sprague and Blodgett's Georgia Minstrels, another numismatic Titanic relic, the Abundance medal, the Kingdom of Pomona, the Pedley Ryan dollar, mutoscopes, scrip payable in salt, John Dannreuther and I-shoulda-bought-that-when-it-was-cheap remorse, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

For the complete story and text of the Gettysburg Address, see:

The Writer's Almanac from Sunday, November 19, 2017

(https://thewritersalmanac.substack.com/p/the-writers-almanac-from-sunday-november-cb8)

Image of the week

SIGNED AND INSCRIBED RED BOOKS OFFERED

George Cuhaj writes:

"I am selling this week (closing on November 22nd) a bunch of Red Books inscribed to Chet Krause and either signed by RS Yeoman or Ken Bressett.

Easily found under my seller name: cuhaj, 100% donation auction to the Iola Historical Society."

By their nature, all but the earliest Red Books are easily found, but special copies like these with signatures and inscriptions are uncommon, and a direct link to important hobby figures.
-Editor

For more information, or to bid, see:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?item=115978169393&rt=nc&_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l2562&_ssn=cuhaj

NEW BOOK: MONNAIES FRANçAISES, 1789-2023

Collectors of U.S. coins have the Red Book. Collectors of French coins have the Rouge Book. Here is the announcement for the latest edition of the Gadoury book on French coins, as it reaches the 50-year milestone. Happy birthday!
-Editor

Monnaies Françaises, 1789-2023