The E-Sylum v27n02 January 14, 2024

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Jan 14 18:39:16 PST 2024

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 27, Number 02, January 14, 2024
** WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM JANUARY 14, 2024 <#a01>
** NEW BOOK: GERMAN BANKNOTES, 23RD ED. <#a02>
** RCNA LIBRARY ARRIVES AT NICKLE GALLERIES <#a03>
** HON. JAMES PATRICK FLANNERY, JR. (1950–2023)  <#a04>
** HOWLAND WOOD CORRESPONDENCE SCANNED <#a05>
** VIDEO: CHECK COLLECTING <#a06>
** DUTCH DEFEAT OF THE SPANISH ARMADA MEDAL <#a07>
** MORE ON DUBLIN JEWELLER EDMUND JOHNSON <#a08>
** NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: JANUARY 14, 2024 <#a09>
** JUSTIN'S MULTI-STATE COIN SHOP TRIP <#a10>
** RECOGNIZING COINS WITH ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE <#a11>
** VOCABULARY TERM: PANTOGRAPH, PART ONE <#a12>
** SPCA AND HUMANE SOCIETY SEALS AND MEDALS <#a13>
** TOM CALDWELL INTERVIEW, PART THREE <#a14>
** PRINCETON COLLECTION ADDS AKSUMITE COINS <#a15>
** NUMISMAGRAM MEDAL SELECTIONS: JANUARY 14, 2024 <#a16>
** TANKERSLEY WEST INDIAN COINS AND TOKENS <#a17>
** INTERESTING NOTES IN WBNA SALE #54 <#a18>
** NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: JANUARY 14, 2024 <#a19>
** GREEK COINS FOUND AT HADRIAN’S AQUEDUCT <#a20>
** THE COINS OF JUSTINIAN II <#a21>
** THE JANUARY 1816 U.S. MINT FIRE <#a22>
** THE 1893 AUSTRALIA SYDNEY PROOF SOVEREIGN <#a23>
** MEDALLIC ART EXHIBIT: PROGRESSION <#a24>
** CRAFTY COUNTERFEIT DISPLAY, PART TWO <#a25>
** 1770 WEST VIRGINIA LOG FORT UNCOVERED <#a26>
** LOOSE CHANGE: JANUARY 14, 2024 <#a27>
** TOKYO COIN-DISPENSING VENDING MACHINE <#a28>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to read the thin version on the web

Click here for the NBS Facebook group

Click here to subscribe

Click here to unsubscribe

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM JANUARY 14, 2024

New subscribers this week include:
Merfyn Williams, courtesy Jeff Rock,
Denis Richard,
John Russell, and
Mary Yacovone.
Welcome aboard! We now have 7,643 subscribers.

This week we open with one new book, a numismatic library move,
updates from the Newman Numismatic Portal, notes from readers, and more.

Other topics this week include Howland Wood, check collecting, visiting coin shops, pantographs, fixed price and auction previews, coin finds, the 1816 Mint fire, and a coin vending machine.

To learn more about German banknotes, Nickle Galleries, numismatic dealer directories, RCNA convention programs,  recognizing coins with artificial intelligence, coins of the Aksumite empire, the Edinburgh Mint, the coins of Justinian II, the 1893 Australia Sydney Proof Sovereign, and vacuum-packed bundles of cash, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

Image of the week

NEW BOOK: GERMAN BANKNOTES, 23RD ED.

A new edition of the Grabowski catalog of German banknotes has been published.
Here's a Google-translated description from the publisher's website.
-Editor

The German banknotes from 1871

Hans Ludwig Grabowski

The paper money of the German central banks, government paper money, colonial and occupation issues, German tributaries and banknote-like securities and vouchers

Title: Battenberg Verlag

ISBN: 978-3-86646-224-3

Edition: 23rd edition 2023/2024

Dimensions: 14.8 x 21 cm

Type of figures: colored throughout

Type of cover: Hardcover

Number of pages: 864

The completely colored, current standard work on German banknotes from the founding of the Reich in 1871 to the present day of the Euro, divided into historical eras: Empire, “Weimar Republic”, “Third Reich”, Allied Occupation, GDR, Federal Republic and subsidiary territories. In addition to the notes of the German central banks (including the state central banks), government paper money, colonial and occupation expenditure, banknote-like securities and vouchers as well as occupation expenditure from both world wars and military money were included. All areas are cataloged with their own number ranges and are currently assessed.

The catalog includes:

 German banknotes and government paper money

 German Empire 1871–1918

 “Weimar Republic” 1918–1933

 German / Greater German Empire 1933–1945

 Allied occupation 1945–1948

 German Democratic Republic 1949–1990

 Federal Republic of Germany 1949–1999

 European Monetary Community from 2002

Sub-areas:

 State emergency expenditure

 German state and private central banks 1871–1930

 Banknotes from the German colonies

 German foreign banks (Argentina, China, Mexico)

 German military and occupation expenditure as well as ghetto and prison money

 Securities similar to paper money (conversion cash notes , tax vouchers)

 Vouchers similar to paper money (WHW vouchers)

 German tributaries (Occupied Rhineland, Danzig, Memel area, Saar area)

For more information, or to order, see:

Die deutschen Banknoten ab 1871

(https://www.battenberg-gietl.de/produkt/die-deutschen-banknoten-ab-1871)

THE BOOK BAZARRE

 KENNETH W. RENDELL
has traveled the world tracking down, buying, and selling the most significant,
iconic historical letters and documents from the ancient world through the Renaissance to today. Read
about his early start as a rare-coin dealer in the 1950s—and much more—in his thrilling new memoir,
Safeguarding History. Order your copy online (including
at
Whitman.com
), or call 1-800-546-2995.

RCNA LIBRARY ARRIVES AT NICKLE GALLERIES

Last March it was announced that the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association's library would move to Nickle Galleries in Calgary.
The move is now complete.  Here's a report from Canadian Coin News.
-Editor

For decades, University of Calgary’s Nickle Galleries has had the largest and most important academic coin collection in Canada, the Nickle Numismatic Collection. This rich teaching and research resource comprises over 16,000 ancient Greek and Roman coins, 7,000 medieval coins as well as early modern coins, bank notes and non-Western currencies. It also includes significant holdings of related artifacts dating from the 7th century BCE.

Now, Nickle Galleries is also home to an extensive library curated by the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association (RCNA) and consisting of more than 5,000 items. The collection includes reference and rare books, manuscripts, periodicals, and ephemera relating to coins, medals, tokens, and bank notes. It covers ancient and modern historic periods, countries and continents, in a number of different languages.

Many of the Nickle’s existing holdings were donated by the Nickle’s founder, Carl Nickle, and local collectors and numismatists Lionel Conn and Paul De Groot. With the addition of the RCNA collection, Univery of Calgary is now home to the largest, most comprehensive and wide-ranging numismatic library in the country.

“The currency collection and its library augment the students’ in-class learning experience,” says Marina Fischer, curator of numismatics at Nickle Galleries. “They provide an alternative approach to the development of critical thinking and research skills. The collection makes UCalgary a hub for numismatics expertise and the study of money.”

This acquisition was possible because of a generous donation from the Calgary Numismatic Society (CNS), an important community partner.

Earlier this year, the CNS also donated $50,000 to create an annual scholarship for a student studying numismatics at University of Calgary.

To read the complete article, see:

RCNA numismatic collection available at Nickle Galleries

(https://canadiancoinnews.com/rcna-numismatic-collection-available-at-nickle-galleries/)

To read the earlier E-Sylum article, see:

RCNA LIBRARY MOVING TO NICKLE GALLERIES

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v26/esylum_v26n10a09.html)

HON. JAMES PATRICK FLANNERY, JR. (1950–2023)

Len Augsburger passed along word of the passing of Chicago Coin Club member Jim Flannery. Sorry to hear the news.
-Editor

Hon. James Patrick Flannery, Jr. (1950 – 2023) of Chicago, Illinois passed on October 13, 2023, he was 73 years of age. Jim became member number 1056 when he joined the Chicago Coin Club in April of 1996.

>From his early high school days at LaLumiere high school in LaPorte Indiana, Jim was a well-respected student and athlete. Jim was a member of the 1968 charter class at Lalumiere.

Jim earned his B.S. in mathematics from Illinois Institute of Technology in 1973 and completed his J.D. at the University of Illinois at Chicago John Marshall Law School in 1976

Jim was admitted to the bar in 1976 and has been a judge since 1988, he was transferred to the Law Division in 1997. In 2014 he was appointed presiding judge of the Law and was last retained in the November 2020 General Election.

His collecting passions included U.S. Coins, U.S. Paper Money, some foreign coins and stamps.

Jim attended and volunteered as an Ambassador for several ANA World’s Fair of Money conventions in Rosemont Illinois. Attending these conventions helped Jim to further his collecting interests.

In January 2019 during the CCC 100th anniversary year Jim brought two items to the club’s monthly show and tell.  First a “Hawaii” overprinted $20 bill from 1942, obtained in circulation while Jim worked at a bank in the early 1970s — it whetted his appetite for researching and collecting, and Jim explained how the notes were designed to be immediately devalued in the event the Hawaiian Islands fell during WWII.

Second a high grade and scarce 1909-S Lincoln cent with “V.D.B.” designer initials, which was obtained via a sentimental monetary gift from his late mother to spend “however he wished.” The coin was redesigned without the designer’s initials after a scant 484,000 examples were released from the San Francisco mint — a result of the public outcry over their bold prominence.

Jim is survived by his wife Carol Zigulich; daughter Joanne Z. (Michael Alpert) Flannery; grandchildren Brooklyn and Becksley; brother Patrick (Lynda) Flannery and Maureen (late Dan) Pyne; and nieces and nephews.

Services were held in October. Expressions of sympathy can be directed through the Dalcamo funeral home at

https://www.dalcamofuneralhome.com/obituary/HonJames-FlanneryJr

HOWLAND WOOD CORRESPONDENCE SCANNED

The latest addition to the Newman Numismatic Portal is correspondence of ANS Curator Howland Wood. Project Coordinator Len Augsburger provided the following report.
-Editor

Howland Wood Correspondence Scanned

Howland Wood (b. 1877) served as the American Numismatic Society (ANS) Curator from 1913 until his passing in 1938. The Society has preserved his extensive correspondence files, which are currently being digitized by Newman Portal at the ANS library. Already over 400 separate correspondents, covering the letters A-B, are represented in this group. While many of the correspondent names are obscure, the “usual suspects” are well represented, with David Bullowa, F. C. C. Boyd, M. H. Bolender, and Bauman Belden found in the first few pages of search results.

The Bullowa letters track David Bullowa traveling through Europe and contributing related numismatic items to the ANS cabinet. On September 20, 1930, Bullowa writes to Wood “Enclosed please find the piece issued for the 100th anniversary of Franz Joseph’s birth, which I have just received from Vienna, thru the Royal Monarchist Party.” Such correspondence reminds us that the ANS is built one (or sometimes more!) item at a time. Its collections are formed from thousands of similar gifts, from individuals who have likewise contributed to the growth of its library, cabinet, and (increasingly) its digital collections.

Image: Franz Joseph I centennial medal, ANS catalog no. 1930.132.3.

Link to Howland Wood correspondence:

https://archive.org/details/newmannumismatic?query=%22howland+wood%22&page=8&sort=-publicdate

VIDEO: CHECK COLLECTING

The David Lisot Video Library on the Newman Numismatic Portal can be found at:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/multimediadetail/522852

We highlight one of his videos each week in The E-Sylum.
Here's one from 1985 where David interviews his father Larry about check collecting.
-Editor

David Lisot talks about collecting coin auction catalogs. He then interviews his father Oliver Lawrence "Larry" Lisot about check collecting.

To watch the complete video, see:

Collector Talk: Oliver "Larry" Lisot

(https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/584160)

DUTCH DEFEAT OF THE SPANISH ARMADA MEDAL

Regarding the reproduction Dutch medal "paperweight", Stuart Weinerman writes:

Here is a description from a CNG sale:

TUDOR. temp. Elizabeth I. 1558-1603. AR Medal (51mm, 40.70 g, 12h). Defeat of the Spanish Armada. By G. van Bijlaer. Dated 1588. + FLAVIT × × ET × DISSIPATI × SVNT × 1588 ( God blew, and they (the Spanish fleet) were scattered ), large fleet of ships under sail right, being dispersed; above, name of God in Hebrew within rayed clouds / (castle) × ALLIDOR × NON × LÆDOR × ( I may be assailed, but not injured ), church set upon rocky island, being buffeted by heavy winds and waves; below, crowned coat-of-arms of Maurice. MI 145/112; Eimer 57; van Loon I, p. 392. VF, toned, removed from mount. Very rare.
Ex Classical Numismatic Review XX.2 (Summer 1995), no. 945.
As the destruction of the Spanish Armada consisted largely of a violent storm upon the seas, divine intervention is duly acknowledged upon the obverse of this medal. Since the armada was drawn chiefly against Elizabeth, the principal head of the Anglican Church, its cause was viewed as an attack upon the Church itself and is clearly represented on the reverse.

Henk Groenendijk writes:

"Regarding the request for information about the Dutch Naval Fleet Medal Paperweight see here:

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/C_M-6898
."

Curator's comments

Medallic Illustrations 1, published in 1885, states:
This piece was struck at Middleburg, in Holland, the symbol of that place being a castle, and not in England, as Addison supposes, when he eulogizes Elizabeth for the good spirit of the device; for, though he has slightly erred in the description, this is the medal he refers to, Spectator, No. 293. The destruction of the Spanish Armada was occasioned, in great measure, by a violent storm; and the interference of Providence is duly acknowledged upon the obverse. As the armament had been prepared against Elizabeth, the chief head and champion of the Protestant cause, it was deemed an attack upon that Church. The arms of Prince Maurice being introduced, it is probable that the medal was struck by his orders.

See Pinkerton, J., ‘The Medallic History of England to the Revolution’, London, 1790 (fol.), ix. 1; Van Loon, Gerard, ‘Histoire Métallique des XVII. Provinces des Pays-Bas’, 5 vol. La Haye, 1732-1837 (fol) [There is also an edition in Dutch, but with different paging], I. 386. 1; Bizot, Pierre, ‘Histoire Métallique de la République de Hollande’, Paris, 1687 (new ed., 2 vol. Amsterdam, 1688, and Supl., 1690), p. 59.

Thanks, everyone!
-Editor

To read the complete page, see:

NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: JANUARY 7, 2024 : Dutch Naval Fleet Medal Paperweight

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v27/esylum_v27n01a19.html)

The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. For more information please
see our web site at
http://www.coinbooks.org/.

There is a membership application available on the web site
at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_member_app.html

To join, print the application and return it with your check
to the address printed on the application. Membership is only
$15 to addresses in the U.S., $20 for First Class mail, and
$25 elsewhere.  For those without web access, write to:

David M. Sundman, Secretary/Treasurer
Numismatic Bibliomania Society,
P. O. Box 82 Littleton, NH 03561

For Asylum mailing address changes and other membership
questions, contact David at this email address:
dsundman at LittletonCoin.com

To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, just
address: whomren at gmail.com <!-- at coinlibrary.com-->

Those wishing to become new E-Sylum subscribers
(or wishing to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page:

All past E-Sylum issues are archived on the NBS web site at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_archive.html

Issues from September 2002 to date are also archived at this address:
http://my.binhost.com/pipermail/esylum