The E-Sylum v26n51 December 17, 2023

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Sun Dec 17 19:46:54 PST 2023

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 26, Number 51, December 17, 2023
** WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM DECEMBER 17, 2023 <#a01>
** NEW BOOK: ROMAN IMPERIAL COINAGE V.4 GALLIC EMPIRE <#a02>
** NEW BOOK: GOLD COINS OF THE WORLD, 10TH ED <#a03>
** NEW BOOK: MEDALS FOR DISHONOR <#a04>
** NEW BOOK: ART & MONEY <#a05>
** NEW BOOK: GUIDE TO BECOMING A COIN DEALER <#a06>
** EMIL NICHOLAS EUSANIO (~1925-2022) <#a07>
** BOB LYALL (1938-2023) <#a08>
** CHRISTMAS RIDDLES & THE COIN COLLECTOR <#a09>
** VIDEO: FEBRUARY 2017 LONG BEACH EXPO <#a10>
** CHARLOTTE MINT MUSEUM COIN EXHIBIT <#a11>
** NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: DECEMBER 17, 2023 <#a12>
** THE PROOF COIN IS IN THE PUDDING! <#a13>
** AN IRISH NUMISMATIC TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS <#a14>
** VOCABULARY TERMS: OVERLETTER, OVERLETTERING <#a15>
** THE BOSTON STAMP HEISTS <#a16>
** NATIONAL SILVER DOLLAR ROUND TABLE ESSAY  <#a17>
** ATLAS NUMISMATICS SELECTIONS: DECEMBER 17, 2023 <#a18>
** NUMISMAGRAM MEDAL SELECTIONS: DECEMBER 17, 2023 <#a19>
** CNG TRITON XXVII SALE <#a20>
** TCNC JANUARY 2024 NEW YEAR'S SALE <#a21>
** NUMISMATIC NUGGETS: DECEMBER 17, 2023 <#a22>
** SPANISH COLONIAL CUARTILLOS <#a23>
** AUSTRALIA RELEASES NEW $1 KING CHARLES COIN  <#a24>
** REALLY BAD FAKE CANADIAN TOONIES <#a25>
** DAVID SMITH’S MEDALS FOR DISHONOR <#a26>
** MORE ON MEDALS FOR DISHONOR <#a27>
** JELONEK AWARDED WACKS JUDAICA ART MEDAL <#a28>
** THAT’S NOT SANTA CLAUS <#a29>
** TOM BADLEY'S BITCOIN BANKNOTES <#a30>
** LOOSE CHANGE: DECEMBER 17, 2023 <#a31>
** MONEY MEASUREMENT MANIA <#a32>
** FEATURED WEBSITE: PROP MOVIE MONEY <#a33>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to read the thin version on the web

Click here for the NBS Facebook group

Click here to subscribe

Click here to unsubscribe

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM DECEMBER 17, 2023

We currently send two versions of the email each week.  One is the regular long version, and the other is a very short one with a link to the complete version online.  Some email providers (AOL, Yahoo) don't like the long version.  The short version seems to get through to everyone, and next year we may stop sending the long one to reduce clutter and confusion.  If you're getting both versions but haven't tried using the short one, please do so and let us know if you have any problems.

Also, since the upcoming issue dates fall on Christmas and New Year's Eve, we'll likely not publish Sunday night as usual but sometime the following day or so. Happy holidays!

This week we open with five new books, two passings,
updates from the Newman Numismatic Portal, notes from readers, Christmas collectibles, and more.

Other topics this week include Roman Imperial Coinage, the Charlotte Mint Museum, overlettering, fixed price and auction previews, King Charles coins, dodgy toonies, medals for dishonor, St. Nicholas, bitcoin banknotes, and movie prop money.

To learn more about how to become a coin dealer, the San Fernando Book Co., Bob Lyall, Santa’s helpers, sickly coins,  Christmas puddings,
 the Boston Stamp Heists, useless papers, documents, and records,
Persian hairpin money, a huge silver pentakaidekadrachm, and
 the rebel Queen Zenobia of Palmyra, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

Image of the week

NEW BOOK: ROMAN IMPERIAL COINAGE V.4 GALLIC EMPIRE

Spink has published a new volume in the Roman Imperial Coinage series, covering the Gallic Empire from AD 260-274.
-Editor

Roman Imperial Coinage Volume V.4: The Gallic Empire

by Jerome Mairat

Regular price £150.00

276 x 219mm, 404 pages

The Roman Imperial Coinage (abbreviated RIC) is a typological catalogue of Roman Imperial coins from the Battle of Actium in 31 BC to Late Antiquity in 491 AD. It aims to offer a complete and chronological reconstruction of the whole coinage produced by each
of the Roman emperors. The series was started in 1923, and has become the standard work for numismatic reference. It was previously comprised of 10 volumes in 13 parts, some of which are currently being revised and will be divided differently.

This brand new volume, published to celebrate the centenary of the series, covers the Gallic Empire from AD 260-274.

Jerome Mairat is the Curator of Roman Coins at the Ashmolean Museum and Lecturer in Roman Numismatics at the Faculty of Classics, University of Oxford.  He holds the positions of Director for RPC Online and General Editor for the Roman Provincial Coinage series, having authored several volumes.  His research is primarily focused on the third century coinage, both imperial and provincial.

For more information, or to order, see:

Roman Imperial Coinage Volume V.4: The Gallic Empire by Jerome Mairat

(https://spinkbooks.com/products/roman-imperial-coinage-volume-v-4-the-gallic-empire-by-jerome-mairat)

NEW BOOK: GOLD COINS OF THE WORLD, 10TH ED

Coin & Currency Institute has published a new edition of Friedberg's Gold Coins of the World.
-Editor

The last edition of Gold Coins of the World, by Arthur L. Friedberg and Ira S. Friedberg, was published by the Coin & Currency Institute six years ago, in 2017. That edition the ninth and each one before are derived from the original, groundbreaking 1958 work by Robert Friedberg, whose cataloging and numbering system revolutionized the way gold coins are collected. It changed the face of world-gold collecting at that time, and it remains unparalleled in its scope and universal usage today, six decades later. Collectors and dealers around the world rely on the Friedberg Numbering System™ to systematically identify and study any gold coin ever made. Now, the Friedberg legacy is renewed yet again with the all-new, tenth edition of Gold Coins of the World. Three years in the making, the newest edition calls on the expertise of a numismatic who's-who of more than one hundred expert contributors and consultants from across the globe.

The continued respect commanded by each edition of the volume is due to the expertise of both the authors and the impressive contributors they bring together. The popularity of gold coins, however, is due to a whole host of factors. It is not an overstatement to say that the history of gold coinage parallels, and has helped define. the trajectory of civilization.

>From the preface:

Since the first gold coins were struck in ancient Lydia, about 700 BC, they have been the subject of collecting, hoarding, accumulating, and investing. For over two and a half millennia, they, along with gold itself, have been man's ultimate measure of economic value. For rarity, purity, luster, resistance to the ravages of the elements and time, for unique color and for sheer beauty, they have nary a rival among the creations of either man or nature. In times of uncertainty and war, depression and panic, inflation. and disaster. they have served their purpose as symbols of security when all else lay in ruin.

More remarkable than the rise in the gold price is the dramatic, unparalleled, and sometimes frenzied increase in the value of numismatic gold coins. Collectors and investors now realize the relative rarity of coins compared not only to other forms of art and antiques but also to other numismatic categories. The tenth edition of Gold Coins of the World is arriving at just the right time to meet the needs of this ever-expanding market.

Like each edition before it, the tenth expands on its predecessor, digging more deeply into new areas of collector interest, and expanding many sections. It includes the addition of many new discoveries for dozens of countries. From the 384 pages of the 1958 edition, the work has expanded to 852 pages, which have been completely revised and updated. The authors have listed more than 22,000 coin types. which are illustrated with more than 8,500 photos now, for the first time, each one of them in color. Each country's section includes tables of weight and fineness. The market valuations are extensively revised to reflect both the higher price of gold as well as the skyrocketing demand for numismatic rarities.

Valuations are now provided, for the first time, in up to three states of preservation. Many of the prices, especially for great rarities and coins in higher grades. have at least doubled. In fact, as collectors recognize the scarcity of coins in the highest states of preservation, the premium for such coins relative to lower-graded ones is escalating beyond traditional proportions. The coinage of India and the Islamic world. long dismissed by western collectors as difficult to decipher, unimportant, and lacking in value, is now the subject of intense interest, and has shown some of the most dramatic increases of all. The reader will also find a useful directory of the worlds leading gold-coin dealers and auction houses.

For the numismatist, banker. economist, historian, or institution of higher learning, the tenth edition of Gold Coins of the World (ISBN 978-0-87184-310-4) is a book for every library, public and private. The 11 3/4 by 8 1/4 inch (A4) hard-bound book has 852 pages and a list price of US $94.95 or €95. It is available from bookstores. coin dealers. and internet booksellers. It is also available as a full-color e-book or Kindle book (ISBN 978-087184-012-7) for US$44.95. The e-book is also available as a one-day rental —a first in the world of numismatic reference books.

To order direct from the publisher or for more information, contact Coin & Currency Institute 34 Blair Park Road. Suite 104-188. Williston, Vermont 05495. Toll-free 1-800-421-1866. Fax 802-536-4787. E-mail:

info at GoldCoinsoftheWorld.com. Ordering information and sample pages are found on the book's web site,

www.GoldCoinsoftheWorld.com.

To read the complete article, see:

News Story: Gold Coins of the World, 10th edition

(https://www.coin-currency.com/page309.html)

For more information, or to order, see:

http://www.GoldCoinsoftheWorld.com/

http://66.39.37.41/page9.html

NEW BOOK: MEDALS FOR DISHONOR

Not new actually, but new to me.  See two articles elsewhere in this issue for more information on artist David Smith and his Medals For Dishonor series.
-Editor

Title: David Smith: Medals For Dishonor

Text by: Michael Brenson, Dore Ashton, Matthew Marks

This catalogue examines a major though little-known body of David Smith's work. Enraged by the rise of fascism that he witnessed while visiting Europe in the 1930s, Smith began to work on the “Medals for Dishonor.” Approaching the tradition of commemorative medallions ironically, Smith denounces historical players who willingly contributed to the horrors of war.

Publisher: Independent Curators International (ICI)

Publication Date: 1997

Binding: Paperback

Language: English

Number of Pages: 84

Item Length: 9.5in

Item Width: 9.5in

For more information, or to order, see:

David Smith: Medals For Dishonor

(https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=31550781445)

David Smith : Medals for Dishonor by David Smith (1997, Trade Paperback)

(https://www.ebay.com/p/606777?iid=225731595160)

THE BOOK BAZARRE

 KENNETH W. RENDELL
has traveled the world tracking down, buying, and selling the most significant,
iconic historical letters and documents from the ancient world through the Renaissance to today. Read
about his early start as a rare-coin dealer in the 1950s—and much more—in his thrilling new memoir,
Safeguarding History. Order your copy online (including
at
Whitman.com
), or call 1-800-546-2995.

NEW BOOK: ART & MONEY

Money artist Tom Badley has written a book on art and money.  The Foreword is written by Elias Ahonen, author of the Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies and  Blockland.
-Editor

Banknotes: unique in the world of product design, a source of artistic inspiration, and the visual brand of money and debt. But why do we use cash? Why does it look the way it does? What does it say about us, life on Earth, and where we’re going as a species?

Artist Tom Badley brings together his experience in art, design, cryptocurrency, history, and his work in the banknote industry to present a unique philosophy of money design.

In doing so, he uncovers society’s beliefs on life, evolution, and the future of money.

Daniel Ambrosi, founding member of the AI Art movement:

"Wow! This book went to places and depths I did not expect. Tom's thesis of money as a mirror of humanity and our evolutionary drive beyond centralization to self-determination is quite compelling. I found the chapters, The Hierarchy of Sophistication and Banknotes vs Art very illuminating and while reading those, I couldn't help but think about what I'm trying to do with my own art. I learned a lot from these chapters and came away encouraged by the aspiration towards transcendent life-affirming art. It was also great to get a much better handle on Tom's art, background, ideas, and philosophy. His work is truly singular and a tremendously important contribution to crypto art."

Tom Badley

Tom Badley is an artist, designer and author. He studied art at the Slade School of Fine Art, London, and the Cooper Union School in New York. He is known for his work in the banknote industry and blockchain art space. He lives and works in London and Europe.

Publisher ‏ : ‎ Independently published (July 10, 2023)

Language ‏ : ‎ English

Hardcover ‏ : ‎ 208 pages

ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 979-8397495349

Item Weight ‏ : ‎ 1.32 pounds

Dimensions ‏ : ‎ 8.25 x 0.68 x 11 inches

See the article elsewhere in this issue about Tom Badley's physical cryptocurrency notes.
-Editor

For more information, or to order, see:

Art & Money

(https://www.bitcoin-banknote.com/)

ART & MONEY

(https://www.amazon.com/ART-MONEY-Tom-Badley/dp/B0CC4JBF4M/ref=sr_1_1)

To read earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

TOM BADLEY'S PORTFOLIO OF MONEY

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v22/esylum_v22n32a34.html)

NEW BOOK: GUIDE TO BECOMING A COIN DEALER

With help from a robot friend, Ron Guth has written A Practical Guide To Becoming A Coin Dealer.  Here's the Foreword.  There's no cover illustration yet, so I'd like to invite our readers to submit candidates, with or without the help of AI tools.
-Editor

ChatGPT, one of the most famous AI tools on the market at present, created this entire book in less than an hour. ChatGPT (Version 3.5) took the prompt, “Outline for a book titled How to Become a Coin Dealer”, and created a ten chapter outline in just a few seconds. Each line in the outline became its own prompt from which ChatGPT generated entire sections in less than a minute each. The final count came to over 37,000 words. Compare this to the months it would have taken a human to write a similar book.

ChatGPT even provided alternative titles for this book, several of which were entirely appropriate, and from which the actual title was chosen.

How did ChatGPT perform? Surprisingly well in this writer’s opinion. Though it took ChatGPT less than an hour to create the book, your editor spent several hours reviewing the text and adding notes. ChatGPT often repeats itself or rephrases sections, though that in itself is not bad. Good ideas should be reinforced. On the positive side, ChatGPT included several interesting topics that this writer had not even contemplated. ChatGPT has been known to hallucinate (make things up) and outright lie (make false statements), not out of evil intent but merely because of the nature and current state of the technology. In order to present the raw power and the idiosyncrasies of ChatGPT, no changes were made to the actual text or content. However, editor's notes were inserted within brackets [ ] throughout the text to correct or explain any errors or misinformation.

The end result is a book that, with the accompanying revisions, will prove to be very useful to anyone considering becoming a coin dealer. If nothing else, it illustrates the sheer power and potential of ChatGPT.

Important note: ChatGPT and the editor do not offer legal and tax advice. What may appear to be legal or tax advice in this book are guidelines only. Readers are encouraged to consult appropriate professionals for legal and tax advice.

Enjoy!

The book was published a chapter at a time on Ron's Numismatic Detective Agency blog. See the links below.
-Editor

To read the complete book, see:

A Practical Guide To Becoming A Coin Dealer

(https://numismaticdetectives.com/blog/f/the-business-of-coins)

A Practical Guide...Chapter 1

(https://numismaticdetectives.com/blog/f/a-practical-guide-to-becoming-a-coin-dealer)

A Practical Guide...Chapter 2

(https://numismaticdetectives.com/blog/f/a-practical-guidechapter-2)

A Practical Guide...Chapter 3

(https://numismaticdetectives.com/blog/f/a-practical-guidechapter-3)

A Practical Guide...Chapter 4

(https://numismaticdetectives.com/blog/f/a-practical-guidechapter-4)

A Practical Guide...Chapter 5

(https://numismaticdetectives.com/blog/f/a-practical-guidechapter-5)

A Practical Guide...Chapter 6

(https://numismaticdetectives.com/blog/f/a-practical-guidechapter-6)

A Practical Guide...Chapter 7

(https://numismaticdetectives.com/blog/f/a-practical-guidechapter-7)

A Practical Guide...Chapter 8

(https://numismaticdetectives.com/blog/f/a-practical-guidechapter-8)

A Practical Guide...Chapter 9

(https://numismaticdetectives.com/blog/f/a-practical-guidechapter-9)

A Practical Guide...Chapter 10

(https://numismaticdetectives.com/blog/f/a-practical-guidechapter-10)

A Practical Guide...Conclusion

(https://numismaticdetectives.com/blog/f/a-practical-guideconclusion)

EMIL NICHOLAS EUSANIO (~1925-2022)

Adrián González-Salinas of
Monterrey, Mexico shares this information about an NBS member and numismatic literature dealer who passed away in February 2022. Thanks!
-Editor

Last month, I bought on eBay a lot of twenty COINage magazines (1972-1984) and in the February 1978 issue, page 17 there is a very interesting article written by Bob Wolenik and titled "He Deals In Coin Books". At that time Emil Nicholas Eusanio was working as an engineer at Rockwell, International and he was the owner of "San Fernando Book Co." in California.

Emil said: "I found the books were harder to find than the coins, so I never got around to purchasing the coins".

I was looking for information about Emil N. Eusanio and found that he was the son of Emil Eusanio (1902-1975) and Lucy Marrano (1908-2007) and both native from Italy (most likely from the Abruzzo region). His parents came from Italy to New York in 1905.

Emil N. Eusanio was a mechanical engineer graduated from the University of Buffalo (NY) generation 1946-1950. On October 13, 1973 he married Patricia L. Kinman in Los Angeles, California.

Numismatically, Emil was an associate member of the American Numismatic Society since 1967. In "The Asylum" Summer 1985 (page 13) he is listed as a new member of the NBS.

He was a member of the California State Numismatic Association (#3066) in 1976; The Society of Paper Money Collectors (#5092) in 1977 and the Numismatic Association of Southern California (#2223) in 1980.

With respect to The E-Sylum, he appeared as a new member in Vol. 5 # 36 (02 September 2002); Vol. 8 #44 (16 October 2005) and Vol. 18 #16 (19 April 2015).

Finally, I found an obituary of his passing in February 2022.

Back in my early collecting career I was aware of the San Fernando Book Co., but don't recall if I purchased any coin books there.  Emil subscribed to The E-Sylum three times, perhaps due to email address changes.  I don't see any submissions from him in the archive, and never met him in person that I'm aware of.  Can any of our readers tell us more about him?
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

SUBSCRIBER UPDATES

(https://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_v05n36.html)

WAYNE'S WORDS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_v08n44.html)

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM APRIL 19, 2015

(https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v18n16a01.html)

BOB LYALL (1938-2023)

Ken Eckardt writes:

"Bob Lyall passed away on 11th December 2023 at the age of 85. The relatively small community of collectors of West Indian cut and countermarked coins have lost a true cornerstone in our series.

"Bob was a collector from a young age and in his teens focused on the coinage of Charles I. This eventually developed into a serious collection. In 1958 Bob did his National Service in the Royal Navy and this included a period of time in the West Indies and British Honduras. Something about the region stuck in his mind and in 1969/1970 Bob started collecting the cut and countermarked coins from the Caribbean islands. Over the years many letters were written to collectors, libraries and archives seeking information and as a result a number of articles were written.

"I met Bob through correspondence in 1975 and when I first visited the UK, in 1977, Bob organised a weekend visit to Fred Pridmore's home. What a valuable experience that was for both of us. Bob’s most important work was published by Spink & Son in 1998, ‘West Indian Coinage – Some New Discoveries.’ This work brought to light a number of previously unpublished Acts, Decrees and Proclamations that greatly added to our knowledge of this fascinating series.

"Bob also was a keen collector of tokens from the West Indies and British Colonies and he formed a very comprehensive collection. In 1988 the Token and Medal Society published his book ‘The Tokens, Checks, Metallic Tickets, Passes and Tallies of the British Caribbean and Bermuda’. He later privately published ‘The Tokens and Checks of Malta’ and ‘The Tokens and Checks of Gibraltar’.

"The sale of Bob’s collection of cut and countermarked coins through DNW, in September 2018, established a new milestone in the series with the number of rarities offered.

"A great friend and colleague of mine going back nearly 50 years … I will miss him."

Sorry to hear the news. Bob was a reader and contributor to The E-Sylum over many years - see some of his submissions linked below.

Here is an excerpt from Ken's preface for Bob's collection in the Dix Noonan Webb catalog.
-Editor

Bob Lyall has been a cornerstone with respect to research on the West Indies cut and
countermarked series for many years. A major achievement was the publication of a very
important booklet, West Indian Coinage — Some New Discoveries , by Spink in 1998. This
work brought to light a significant amount of contemporary documentation not previously
published in the numismatic domain. Additionally, his work covers much more as evidenced by
his book on West Indies tokens, and publications on Gibraltar, identifying this colony as the
original location for the series of heart-shaped piercings (the earliest examples of mutilated
coinage for British colonial use) in 2008, his book on the tokens of Malta, along with a number of articles published in Spink’s Numismatic Circular over the years.

Bob developed a collecting interest at quite an early age, starting off with artefacts and objects of
interest given to him by family members. By the age of twelve his interest focused primarily on
numismatics. He was already on his way to forming a significant collection of the coinage of Charles I (sold
in these rooms in 2015 and 2016) when he had his first exposure to the West Indies (including Bermuda,
Bahamas and British Honduras) in 1958, performing his National Service with the Royal Navy.

While some issues are common (common being a relative term in this series), many are great
rarities. Accordingly, the collecting fraternity has been small in number, due not only to the lack of
material but also to the limited understanding of the social and economic conditions that brought about
the existence of these coins. It is gratifying to see that in the past 8-10 years there has been a marked
increase in interest by collectors and students, and a genuine recognition of the rarity of the coins in
general. It is not the easiest series to understand, complicated as it is by ‘unofficial’ specimens,
‘contemporary counterfeits’ and, sadly, ‘modern fakes’. With study the first two categories add significant
interest to the series and indeed these coins formed an integral part of the day-to-day marketplace
transactions for which the various island assemblies took steps to enact this exceptional local coinage. With
very few exceptions, study and close examination can usually detect and identify the third category.

Bob, being a faithful student of the series, focused on study and research, writing literally hundreds
of letters to museums, historical societies and individuals who might have useful information, and visiting
various libraries and museums in the UK and the West Indies.

To read the complete catalog on the Newman Numismatic Portal, see:

The Lyall Collection of Cut and Countermarked Coins

(https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/auctionlots?AucCoId=512703&AuctionId=539434)

To read earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

ON NAMING NAMES

(https://coinbooks.org/esylum_v09n06a07.html)

ON ELECTROTYPES

(https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v09n43a14.html)

FIRST LOOK: THE MINING AND RELATED TOKENS OF WEST CUMBERLAND, UK

(https://coinbooks.org/esylum_v09n53a08.html)

LYALL COLLECTION OF CUT AND COUNTERMARKED COINS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v21/esylum_v21n28a24.html)

CHRISTMAS RIDDLES & THE COIN COLLECTOR

Newman Numismatic Portal Project Coordinator Len Augsburger provided the following holiday report.
-Editor

Christmas Riddles & The Coin Collector

The Coin Collector, a monthly house organ published in tabloid form by Bowers & Merena from 1994 to 2003, numbered 144 issues total. The readable Bowers formula combined coin commentary, the occasional presentation of original research, letters to the editor, engaging graphics, and of course coins for sale. The Internet has rendered the format obsolete, a pity for those of us who eagerly snatched such publications from the mailbox.  From the February 19, 2001 issue (no. 104) come a pair of Christmas riddles contributed by reader Dr. Kathy Helgesen Fuller, “a long time reader of our publications.”

Q. What do you call Santa’s helpers?

A. Subordinate Clauses.

Q. What do you get when you cross a snowman with a vampire?

A. Frostbite.

Q. What do you call an elf who sings?

A. A wrapper.

OK, we confess the third riddle is a Chat GPT special. The reader is left to determine if AI is an improvement or not!

Link to The Coin Collector on Newman Portal:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/publisherdetail/539529

VIDEO: FEBRUARY 2017 LONG BEACH EXPO

The David Lisot Video Library on the Newman Numismatic Portal can be found at:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/multimediadetail/522852

We highlight one of his videos each week in The E-Sylum.
Here's one from 2017 from the Long Beach Expo.
-Editor

The Long Beach is held three times a year and always have great exhibits and numismatic events. The Expo displayed the first United States Silver Dollar with Don Willis and JD Dannreuther, talked to Tom Caldwell who purchased a 1943 Copper Cent, and saw John Highfill announce his plans to run for ANA Board of Governors. Speaker(s): Interviewer: David Lisot.

To watch the complete video, see:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/578920

The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. For more information please
see our web site at
http://www.coinbooks.org/.

There is a membership application available on the web site
at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_member_app.html

To join, print the application and return it with your check
to the address printed on the application. Membership is only
$15 to addresses in the U.S., $20 for First Class mail, and
$25 elsewhere.  For those without web access, write to:

David M. Sundman, Secretary/Treasurer
Numismatic Bibliomania Society,
P. O. Box 82 Littleton, NH 03561

For Asylum mailing address changes and other membership
questions, contact David at this email address:
dsundman at LittletonCoin.com

To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, just
address: whomren at gmail.com <!-- at coinlibrary.com-->

Those wishing to become new E-Sylum subscribers
(or wishing to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page:

All past E-Sylum issues are archived on the NBS web site at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_archive.html

Issues from September 2002 to date are also archived at this address:
http://my.binhost.com/pipermail/esylum