The E-Sylum v26n52 December 24, 2023

The E-Sylum esylum at binhost.com
Mon Dec 25 12:14:56 PST 2023

The E-Sylum

  An electronic publication of
  The Numismatic Bibliomania Society

Volume 26, Number 52, December 25, 2023
** WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM DECEMBER 24, 2023 <#a01>
** NUMISMATISCHES ANTIQUARIAT LANG AUCTION 1 <#a02>
** NEW BOOK: COLLECTING VINTAGE COIN BOARDS 3RD ED <#a03>
** BANKNOTE BOOK VENEZUELA  CHAPTER PUBLISHED <#a04>
** ORIENTAL NUMISMATIC SOCIETY WINTER 2023 <#a05>
** REXFORD ADDISON STARK (1947-2023) <#a06>
** BCD CATALOGS ARRIVE IN CHICAGO <#a07>
** MORE ON THE EVERMAN COUNTERSTAMP <#a08>
** VIDEO: 1715 FLEET SOCIETY 2017 CONFERENCE <#a09>
** MORE ON THE MONEY MUSEUM <#a10>
** AI-GENERATED COIN BOOK COVERS <#a11>
** UPDATE: AI-POWERED APP NUMI <#a12>
** NOTES FROM E-SYLUM READERS: DECEMBER 24, 2023 <#a13>
** ACQUIRING A 1788 R 4-G MASSACHUSETTS CENT <#a14>
** DICKENS LAND LONDON 1941 MEDALS <#a15>
** VOCABULARY TERM: OVERSIZE FLAN <#a16>
** FREDERICK WILLIAM HARRIS (1872-1938) <#a17>
** WBNA WORLD CURRENCY SALE 53 <#a18>
** FRANK S. ROBINSON 123ND AUCTION <#a19>
** ROYAL ONTARIO MUSEUM'S ROMKOMMA PROJECT <#a20>
** BYZANTINE COIN FIND IN NORWAY <#a21>
** MEDIEVAL CHURCH CHRISTMAS TOKEN FOUND <#a22>
** BANK OF ENGLAND COUNTERSTAMP ON 1798 DOLLAR <#a23>
** 1859-O DOLLAR IN INDIAN TRADE NECKLACE <#a24>
** 1920 ZANZIBAR 1 RUPEE SPECIMEN NOTE <#a25>
** ISRAEL DROPS FAKE MONEY ON GAZA <#a26>
** THE KING OF SILENT ANIMATION <#a27>
** THE $100,000 GOODWILL STORE VASE <#a28>
** THE WILD RIDE OF COLLECTIBLES <#a29>
** JENNY LIND AND “SWIFT-MANIA”  <#a30>
** LOOSE CHANGE: DECEMBER 24, 2023 <#a31>
** OTIS KAYE’S HOLIDAY TREE OF MONEY <#a32>

Click here to read this issue on the web

Click here to read the thin version on the web

Click here for the NBS Facebook group

Click here to subscribe

Click here to unsubscribe

Click here to access the complete archive

To comment or submit articles, reply to whomren at gmail.com

Content presented in The E-Sylum  is not necessarily researched or independently fact-checked, and views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Numismatic Bibliomania Society.

WAYNE'S WORDS: THE E-SYLUM DECEMBER 24, 2023

New subscribers this week include:
Don Ackerman, courtesy of Alan Weinberg, who writes, "Don is head of Heritage’s historical / political dept and has been an authority and serious collector of political ephemera for decades and co-founder with
the late Jon Mann of The Railsplitter which is now online."
Welcome aboard!

As noted earlier, this issue and the next one are arriving late because of the holidays.
This week we open with a numismatic literature auction, two new books, a periodical, a library on the move, updates from the Newman Numismatic Portal, and more.

Other topics this week include coin boards, counterstamps, the 1715 fleet, AI in numismatics, Massachusetts cents, oversize flans, Rev. Fred Harris, auction reviews, fake banknotes in Gaza, Jenny Lind and Otis Kaye.

To learn more about Venezuela banknotes, Chinese coin charms, Rex Stark,
 the BCD library, the Money Museum of the National Bank of Detroit,
the Numi app, Charlotte Mint superintendent and chief assayer Stuart Cramer, Dickins Land medals, Russian Cheese Money, Ming dynasty notes, the posthumous Dupondius, the Nazi who traveled to Palestine, and the world's largest portable money museum, read on. Have a great week, everyone!

Wayne Homren
Editor, The E-Sylum

Image of the week

NUMISMATISCHES ANTIQUARIAT LANG AUCTION 1

Here's the announcement for the first numismatic literature auction from Numismatisches Antiquariat Lang.
-Editor

1st auction of numismatic literature at the Numismatische Antiquariat Lang GmbH on January 07, 2024

Auction 1 of the Numismatisches Antiquariat Lang will offer 1328 lots of numismatic literature on January 07, 2024. The auction begins with a lot of bibliophile works. These include numerous rare books and magnificent volumes. This will be followed by general literature and a wide range of ancient numismatic titles. Three original editions are particularly noteworthy: Svorono's work "Ta Nomismata tou Kratous ton Ptolemaion" in a beautiful uniform half leather (lot 282), Haeberlin "Aes Grave Das Schwergeld Roms" (lot 180) and Ravel "Descriptive catalogue of the collection of Tarentine coins formed by M. P. Vlasto" (lot 250).

Lots 55 and 282

Lot 55: Menestrier, C.F. Histoire du Regne de Louis Le Grand. Par les médailles, emblêmes, devises, jettons, inscriptions, armoiries, et autres monumens publics. Paris 1700. Kupfertitel mit Vign., gest. Portr.-Front., gest. Front., 93 Tfn. (2 gefalt.) und zahlr. Textkupfern und Initialen. 80 S., 4 Bll. Contemporary full leather, somewhat bumped and foxed.
Splendid edition. Expanded edition of the 1693 edition.

Lot 282: Svoronos, J.N. Ta Nomismata tou Kratous ton Ptolemaion. 4 Bände. Athen 1904-1908. XII S., 506 Spalten, 3 Falttabellen; 324 S.; 64 Tfn.; LXVIII, 622 Spalten, 4 Tfn. Band 4 beinhaltet auf Spalten 1-396 eine umfangreiche Zusammenfassung dieser grundlegenden Studie in deutscher Sprache. Am Schluss verlagsmäßig in separater Paginierung hinzugefügt: HULTSCH, F. Die Gewichte und Werte der ptolemäischen Münzen. 80 Spalten. Athen 1904-1908. Uniformly bound in 4 volumes. Half leather, crease in volume 1.

Splendid copy. Rarely offered in the original.

Literature from the Middle Ages and modern times is most strongly represented. When browsing the selection, you will find numerous standard works in the original edition as well as sought-after and out-of-print works. There are also special editions and fine quality items. Examples include Dannenberg "Die deutschen Münzen der sächsischen und fränkischen Kaiserzeit" in the original (lot 417), Mailliet "Catalogue descriptif des monnaies obsidionales et necessite" in the original (lot 654) and a splendid edition by Chestret "Numismatique de la principaute de Liege et de ses dependances (Bouillon, Looz) depuis leurs annexions" (lot 409).

After a small number of commemorative publications, periodicals come under the hammer. Particularly noteworthy here are a complete series of the Numismatische Zeitschrift Wien and an almost complete series of the Gazette numismatique francaise.

Lot 475

Lot 475:  Fiala, E. Münzen und Medaillen der Welfischen Lande. 1. Teil: Prägungen der Zeit der Ludolfinger, Brunonen, Billinger, Supplingenburger etc. Prag 1916. 143 S., 6 Tfn. 2. Teil: Die Welfen in den Sachsenlanden. Das alte Haus Braunschweig. Das alte Haus Lüneburg. Prägungen der Burgundier, der Welfen in Bayern, Italien etc. Prag 1910. 173 S., 11 Tfn. 3. Teil: Das alte Haus Braunschweig, Linie zu Grubenhagen. Mittelbraunschweig-Mittellüneburg. Prag 1906/1907. 112 S., 5 Tfn. 4. Teil: Das mittlere Haus Braunschweig, Linie zu Wolfenbüttel. Prag 1906. 268 S., 19 Tfn. 5. Teil: Das mittlere Haus Braunschweig, Linie zu Calenberg. Prag 1904. 53 S., 4 Tfn. 6. Teil: Das neue Haus Braunschweig zu Wolfenbüttel. Prag 1907/1908. 292 S., 18 Tfn. 7. Teil: Das neue Haus Braunschweig zu Wolfenbüttel II. (Bevern). Prag 1909. S. 295-466, Tfn. 19-27. 8. Teil: Das neue Haus Lüneburg (Celle) zu Hannover I. Prag 1912. 283 S., 14 Tfn. 9. Teil: Das neu
 e Haus Lüneburg (Celle) zu Hannover II. Prag 1913. S. 287-587, Tfn. 15-36. 10. Teil: Das neue Haus Lüneburg zu Hannover III. Prag 1915. S. 591-766, Tfn. 37-44. 11. Teil: Das neue Haus Lüneburg zu England (Großbritannien). Prag 1917. 292 S., 16 Tfn. 11 Bände. Full leather. Splendid series.

The auction concludes with the auction catalogues section. These include auction catalogues before 1945, such as those by Cahn, Helbing, Hess, Hamburger and Merzbacher. Early auction catalogues, such as the Welzl von Wellenheim collection or the Montagu collection of Roman and Byzantine coins, are just a few examples of the diversity of this section. Also on offer are auction catalogues after 1945 with some series, such as Adolph Hess AG, Leu Numismatik, Münzen und Medaillen AG.

For more information, or to bid, see:

Auction 1 - Numismatic Literature - 07.01.2024 16:00

(https://auktionen.numismatisches-antiquariat.de/Auktion/Onlinekatalog?intAuktionsId=1444)

To visit the firm's website, see:

https://www.numismatisches-antiquariat.de/

NEW BOOK: COLLECTING VINTAGE COIN BOARDS 3RD ED

A new edition of Donald Kocken's book is available.  He is also offering his massive lifetime collection for sale - this is a great opportunity for the next generation of collectors.
-Editor

Collecting Vintage Coin Boards, Albums, Folders, & Holders - 1930s and Beyond

by Donald Kocken

Pages: 101

Format: Softbound, Spiral Bound

Images: Color

Edition: Third

Here are some sample pages.
-Editor

FOR SALE

Vintage Coin Boards, Albums, Folders, & Holders
1930's and Beyond

Selling lifetime collection [55+ years]

40 Ft. Display TYPE SET of the 1930's to 1940's Coin Boards
Plus 900+ vintage coin boards

12 Large Whitman Coin Board Albums

21 Pc. Set Whitman First Edition Blue Folders

240 Dansco older version coin folders

46 Oberwise older coin folders

Complete Set of Treasury of Coins Albums + 37 extra pages

40 Whitman Green Plasticlad Coin Holders

13 Crest Green Coin Albums + extra pages

16 New Whitman Green Folders

8 New Megring Green Book Coin Albums

45 Hobby Unlimited round pink coin folders

16 Fort Hamilton Publishing Co. Coin folders

14 Shore Line older version coin folders

Bigelow Coin Binders and Holders

The Kewaunee Line Encased Coin Folder

Call 920-337-6509. Ask for Don or leave a message.

Don adds:

"I set up my 40 ft. Display of vintage coin boards for the first time due to the invitation by Clifford Mishler at the Numismatics of Wisconsin's 55th Anniversary Event hosted in May 2015.

Since then, I have set up around the Wisconsin area. This year I set up at the Rockford, IL Coin Show on Sept 24. I did 14 presentation seminars, which take 10 to 15 minutes each.

Also I did the Milwaukee Coin Show on Nov.12 with 15 presentation seminars.

These are some pictures from the Rockford, IL. Coin show 40 Ft. Display."

Wow - what an amazing collection! Great hobby history.
-Editor

To read the earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

NEW BOOK: COLLECTING VINTAGE COIN BOARDS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n10a07.html)

NEW BOOK: COLLECTING VINTAGE COIN BOARDS 2ND ED.

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n38a07.html)

BANKNOTE BOOK VENEZUELA  CHAPTER PUBLISHED

A new chapter of The Banknote Book by Owen Linzmayer has been published by CDN -
a complete 114-page catalog covering 1,310 varieties of notes from all three national and 30 regional issuers in Venezuela from 1811 to present.
-Editor

To read the complete article, see:

Venezuela chapter now available

(https://banknotenews.com/?p=42376)

ORIENTAL NUMISMATIC SOCIETY WINTER 2023

The Winter 2023 issue of the Journal of the Oriental Numismatic Society has been published.
-Editor

Journal of the Oriental Numismatic Society

Winter 2023

CONTENTS

Editorial

Pankaj Tandon

Some Rare Kuninda Coins

Devendra Handa

An unknown and unusual imitation of the Athenian owl

Patrick Pasmans

Phanebal of Ascalon: a question of attribution and gender

Marvin W. Kushnet

A Kanishka I forgery

Nikolaus Schindel

A Chinese coin found in the medieval town of Handoga (Djibouti)

Jorge de Torres-Rodriguez and Joe Cribb

Kabul’s rare 1/2-tankas of Akbar

B. Millancourt

Four copper coins of early Safavid rulers

B. Millancourt

The Burger Collection of Chinese coin charms

Alex C. Fang and Joe Cribb

Khaksar currency

Sanjay Garg

Ashoka Prize 2002

ONS News

Book reviews and notices

For more information, see:

https://www.orientalnumismaticsociety.org/

THE BOOK BAZARRE

 KENNETH W. RENDELL
has traveled the world tracking down, buying, and selling the most significant,
iconic historical letters and documents from the ancient world through the Renaissance to today. Read
about his early start as a rare-coin dealer in the 1950s—and much more—in his thrilling new memoir,
Safeguarding History. Order your copy online (including
at
Whitman.com
), or call 1-800-546-2995.

REXFORD ADDISON STARK (1947-2023)

Political Americana dealer Rex Stark passed away on December 14th.
Alan Weinberg submitted this remembrance.
-Editor

“Ask Rex” was a phrase widely used in the Americana collectibles and political ephemera field for many years. Rex Stark died in mid-December while hospitalized in Massachusetts for a multi years-long battle with cancer.

He’d been seen in recent years at major shows experiencing discomfort from medical treatments for cancer, all to little avail. Despite this, Rex was scheduled to attend FUN Orlando early January but fate intervened.

Rex lived for many decades with his wife Patti in Gardner, Massachusetts although they recently bought a second home in Tennessee.

Rex started his dealing / collecting in American “smalls” while working for and under the tutelage of Ben Corning who back in the 1970’s issued fixed price catalogues. Rex went on to be super-knowledgeable in scrimshaw, American historical porcelain, political memorabilia and really rare American coinage, and widely encouraged and contributed to specialized book references in these fields.

Realizing a dealer cannot collect fields that compete  with his clients, Rex built a world class collection of
ceramics and related items pertaining to John Brown, the Civil War era  abolitionist and insurrectionist
hanged by the federal government in 1860 - a person and related events made famous in more than one Hollywood movie, most notably one where Brown was played by noted actor Raymond Massey.

When I first met Rex at a Cherry Hill NJ  show in the early 1980’s, I was put off by his know-it-all persona and big booming John Ford-like voice. Perhaps this was because he’d once been a Palo Alto, CA police officer, an occupation requiring such a “command presence”  personality. I know that well.

But I soon got to like him, perhaps because he was so much like me and he did “know it all”. He was a fount of knowledge in early American history, rarity, authenticity and value. Rex’s prices were always “strong” in his 2-3 annual fixed price catalogues but everything, much esoterica, was genuine and usually an “opportunity only” purchase. He’d also list several rare early US coins and many rare medals.

He will be missed by many who knew, talked and dealt with him. There is a hole in the heart of many collectors who knew him but many knew this was coming as Rex was not hesitant to discuss his health problems which became increasingly apparent.

Alan adds:

"This is one of the last items Rex sold at a major coin show - to me at $4,750. A unique gold  fully intact Civil War presentation badge, hand engraved with each battle on the bars  approx 6”  Ex Ulbrich collection, a major sophisticated collection Rex helped build over decades."

Tony Terranova writes:

"GREAT DEALER!!!!!.    Mostly historical ceramics, political everything,, medals, coins,, paper money.    Mostly at high to very high, but fair prices.   Very knowledgeable on every single item he offered and sold.     More importantly, a very dear friend and colleague!!!  The numismatic cognoscenti will miss him greatly!!!!!"

Researcher Pete Smith writes:

"He was born on August 30, 1947, the son of civil engineer Donald R.Stark and Dorothy J. Stark."

Rex's wife Patti confirms Pete's added details.
Thanks, everyone.  I never had the chance to meet Rex, but got his catalogs for years and purchased some items for my collections.
He was also a reader and occasional contributor to The E-Sylum. He will be missed.
-Editor

BCD CATALOGS ARRIVE IN CHICAGO

 Shanna Schmidt published this report in her email
Newsletter #211 this week about the arrival of the auction catalog section of Basil Demetriadi's famous library of Greek numismatics.  Great news!
-Editor

Right now I am working feverishly to empty 490 boxes of catalogs that we just received from Athens, Greece. The long awaited BCD catalogs (not to be confused with the BCD numismatic literature auction that is being sold by Kolbe & Fanning starting in February, 2024) arrived by ship and were finally delivered after a year in the making. While I am excited to have this monumental and important reference library, I also understand the weighty responsibility it carries. The library was cared for and treasured by Basil and his librarian Patricia for several decades. It was also heavily utilized and shared with scholars across the world. I know that its impact on numismatic study was very important and I don’t take it lightly.

Along with the overwhelming task of unpacking boxes, we continue our project of digitizing our 6,000 volume library located at 8 S. Michigan. This includes packing books up and driving them either to Internet Archives in Indiana or for the high value books to St. Louis for scanning right at Washington University. Remember to visit the Newman Portal at

https://nnp.wustl.edu/ if you want to check out any of the books that are out of copyright and are being offered for public consumption. The ones in copyright will just be available to me on a restricted site for our use.

To read earlier E-Sylum articles, see:

GREEK NUMISMATIC LITERATURE SALE JUNE 2014

(https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v17n19a05.html)

MORE ON THE BCD LIBRARY OF GREEK NUMISMATICS

(https://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v17n20a10.html)

SHANNA SCHMIDT ON NUMISMATIC LIBRARIES

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/esylum_v23n08a08.html)

NBS BIBLIOTALK PODCAST WITH SHANNA SCHMIDT

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v24/esylum_v24n19a02.html)

VIDEO: NAC USA NUMISMATIC LIBRARY TOUR

(https://www.coinbooks.org/v26/esylum_v26n33a08.html)

MORE ON THE EVERMAN COUNTERSTAMP

Newman Numismatic Portal Project Coordinator Len Augsburger provided the following report.
-Editor

More on the EVERMAN Counterstamp

A Newman Portal user asked about an EVERMAN counterstamp on an 1856 dollar. The counterstamp is listed in the Brunk reference, there on an 1852 Augustus Humbert $50 gold “slug.” Eric Schena added to the story in the June 2015 Numismatist, noting other EVERMAN pieces including an 1854 gold dollar, 1854 quarter eagle, and two 1855-O half dollars. Eric’s best guess as to the identity of the maker was Louis Everman, a silversmith in Carroll County, TN.

Our correspondent added that the coin was from his uncle, who located the piece while metal detecting in Tennessee. Eric Schena writes “What a great find - thank you for sending these images my way; I will add them to my census. I need to revisit that article and see if I can find any additional evidence.”

Images: 1856 gold dollar featuring EVERMAN counterstamp, submitted by NNP user.

Link to Newman Portal EVERMAN search results:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/searchwithterms?searchterm=EVERMAN

Eric also provided these images of his EVERMAN half dollar and quarter eagle.  Thank you! Note that both of Eric's coins are stamped twice, once on the obverse, and once again on the reverse.
-Editor

VIDEO: 1715 FLEET SOCIETY 2017 CONFERENCE

The David Lisot Video Library on the Newman Numismatic Portal can be found at:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/multimediadetail/522852

We highlight one of his videos each week in The E-Sylum.
Here's one from 2017 at the 1715 Fleet Society Conference.
-Editor

1715 Fleet Society Conference Highlights 2017

People talked about why they came to the banquet, comments about 1715 Fleet Conference, banquet remarks, awards to Sergio Gonzales, Curator, Cuban Numismatic Museum, gold coins worth millions discovered on Florida beaches recently, Ernie Richards, editor of Plus Ultra being honored, having membership in 1715 Fleet Society, the youngest girl treasurer and more.

Speakers: Ben Costello. Running time: 40:35.

To watch the complete video, see:

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/540274

The Numismatic Bibliomania Society is a non-profit organization
promoting numismatic literature. For more information please
see our web site at
http://www.coinbooks.org/.

There is a membership application available on the web site
at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_member_app.html

To join, print the application and return it with your check
to the address printed on the application. Membership is only
$15 to addresses in the U.S., $20 for First Class mail, and
$25 elsewhere.  For those without web access, write to:

David M. Sundman, Secretary/Treasurer
Numismatic Bibliomania Society,
P. O. Box 82 Littleton, NH 03561

For Asylum mailing address changes and other membership
questions, contact David at this email address:
dsundman at LittletonCoin.com

To submit items for publication in The E-Sylum, just
address: whomren at gmail.com <!-- at coinlibrary.com-->

Those wishing to become new E-Sylum subscribers
(or wishing to Unsubscribe) can go to the following web page:

All past E-Sylum issues are archived on the NBS web site at this address:
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_archive.html

Issues from September 2002 to date are also archived at this address:
http://my.binhost.com/pipermail/esylum